fitting a 500w light into a house plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post so please can someone help???

I have 2 outside 500w security lights i want to fit, can i just attach them individually to a plug and plug them into a normal outside double socket plug i have or will i blow / overload the circuit???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
not a problem but make sure the plugs are fitted with 3/5 a fuses.

will the outside socket be completely weatherproof when the plugs are inserted?

would be a better job if lights were hard-wired to the socket circuit via switched fused spur units.

the unit is weatherproof, i was thinking of using an extension lead which has a breaker switch attached from a double socket house plug sock to outside light as the light will be used to light up some field for dog agility classes!

If i wanted to use the other plug socket for another 500w light (again with a seperate extension lead) would this be ok or overload the electrics? Can the plug i use be a standard plug?

Sorry for the stupid questions, first time ive tired to do some light stuff!! :D

just found a 3,000w externsion lead with breaker - can i attach two 500w lights to this extension lead and plug this into a normal house plug?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
While there is no electrical problem connecting lights to a plug, there are other issues with 500W lights:

(From Approved Document L)

So reading through Part L, a 500w halogen would not comply in any circumstance. Is that correct?

I realize that this won't cause Lisa sleepless nights by the way :D

just found a 3,000w externsion lead with breaker - can i attach two 500w lights to this extension lead and plug this into a normal house plug?
Is 2 x 500 less than 3000?

More importantly, are these lights permanently installed, or on some kind of stand, and you set them up and move them around as and when required?

Does this extension lead have a weatherproof socket on it, of a design that remains weatherproof when plugs are in it?

"dog agility classes" sounds like a commercial event, or at the very least something where members of the public are admitted - have you checked your liability insurance to see if it says anything about having electrical work done by a qualified person?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back