Fitting a plastic light 'cup' to a ceiling without screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently dared to go to IKEA and bought a ceiling light, but I have become quite frustrated with the fitting and the inability to make it fit flush to the plaster.

The part in question looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/G28c8EG.jpg
As you can see there is no bracket or anything to fix to the ceiling, instead it seems to just rely on a hook on the white part you can see, which doesn't hold the cup securely when it also has to hold a length of cable inside it.

In my imagination I am picturing trying to use something like this: http://i.imgur.com/cC0mgSK.png and sticking it to the ceiling and then sticking a hook to the inside of the cup and then simply rotating it into the hole so it holds there. I have been searching websites for hours with countless combinations of hook, clip, fastener, fitting, fixture etc and nothing has yet to come up even remotely close to what I am looking for.

Perhaps I am doing this all totally wrong and there is a very simple explanation I have overlooked by thinking too much. If anyone has a good idea or suggestion I would be very, very happy to hear from you.

Many thanks,

T

Sponsored Links
Take the luminary back and get a better one? Better still, throw it in the bin and chalk it up to experience, it'll save you having to endure Ikea once more.

Seriously, it's hard to see an easy way to hold it in place. There's not a lot of plastic for anything to get purchase on. You could try putting a rubber grommet over the cable to stop the cup slipping past but I think you'd have trouble getting the cup flush. Attach a sheet of plastic to the ceiling and plastiweld the cup to it :) Maybe attached a U shaped bracket to the ceiling, drill holes in the side of the cup and screw it to the bracket? Will probably be a pita to find a bracket.

On a lighter note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO7W2Tytfvk

IKEA nuff said :rolleyes:

What is the exact problem, is it fixing the white plastic bit to the ceiling which seems to have a hole for a screw? Or is it holding the cup up to the ceiling?

If it's just the cup why not fix the white plastic bit up with a screw (with luck there is a fixing hole for the old rose) the smear a little paintable decorators mastic on the base of the cup push it up to the ceiling run a damp finger (power off!) around to smooth it then hold the cup up for a few hours till it sets with a clothes peg on the flex underneath the cup.

Sponsored Links
IKEA nuff said :rolleyes:

What is the exact problem, is it fixing the white plastic bit to the ceiling which seems to have a hole for a screw? Or is it holding the cup up to the ceiling?

If it's just the cup why not fix the white plastic bit up with a screw (with luck there is a fixing hole for the old rose) the smear a little paintable decorators mastic on the base of the cup push it up to the ceiling run a damp finger (power off!) around to smooth it then hold the cup up for a few hours till it sets with a clothes peg on the flex underneath the cup.

I was thinking of trying something like this or with a glue but the cup is so thing that the surface area is almost nothing to hold onto properly, if it was only that it would be ok, but it also has to hold the weight of coiled up cable inside it as well. If you look on my first picture and the amount of cable they provide which needs to fit into the cup then you will see the problem (if you also imagine that i also just want around 5cm from the light bulb to the bottom of the cup). I have cut the cable down already but still there is some left (maybe 10-15cm) of excess for if its needed.

Maybe attached a U shaped bracket to the ceiling, drill holes in the side of the cup and screw it to the bracket? Will probably be a pita to find a bracket.

I was also contemplating trying this, but I would need to make holes in the cup. If it was the exact one pictured maybe that would be easier but my actual one is metal (aluminium or stainless steel i think).
and yes, trying to find a bracket of exactly the right size is quite hard..

I suppose there is no chance of gluing it to a standard ceiling rose screwing that onto a standard rose base and just putting a loose knot in the flex to set the drop of cable you require?

I was also contemplating trying this, but I would need to make holes in the cup. If it was the exact one pictured maybe that would be easier but my actual one is metal (aluminium or stainless steel i think). and yes, trying to find a bracket of exactly the right size is quite hard..

If the cup is metal then there should also be an inner plastic cup that is part of the double insulation to prevent the exposed metal coming into contact with a live conductor.

Is this an Ikea Hektar lamp ?. If it is then this will be of interest.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=378314&start=0

"]Maybe attached a U shaped bracket to the ceiling, drill holes in the side of the cup and screw it to the bracket? Will probably be a pita to find a bracket.

I was also contemplating trying this, but I would need to make holes in the cup. If it was the exact one pictured maybe that would be easier but my actual one is metal (aluminium or stainless steel i think).
and yes, trying to find a bracket of exactly the right size is quite hard..

That's OK, it's the same drill bit.

That is NOT a lamp designed to connect to a ceiling rose, the instructions refer to a plug with one blade larger than the other so it has to be plugged into a suitable socket..

Therefor instructions make NO reference to a cup covering the ceiling rose.

You can hang the lamp from a hook screwed into ceiling and take the cable into a normal ceiling rose and cover.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back