Fitting a plug to an alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I was thinking of getting a wired alarm system for my garage, It would only have a bell box and 1 PIR sensor with it. I know that normally the mains from the CU would go to the a FCU (Switchless) and then from that to the Alarm box however my garage has several unused power points and was wondering if I could fit a plug to an alarm box and simply plug it in. I know this makes it less secure as someone could unplug it however the garage has its own consumer unit or fuse box in the corner which can be turned off so plugging it in will not make it any less secure. I was just looking at how to install it easier without having to remove one of the power points and replace it with a FCU.

Sponsored Links
I know this makes it less secure as someone could unplug it however the garage
If they can reach the plug without tripping the PIR then the PIR is badly located. Once the alarm is triggered it should continue to sound on a battery inside the bell box even if all power is removed from the panel. ( mains and the panel's back up battery )

You can plug it in. It's only a battery charger for the back-up battery when all said and done.

All sounds a bit make-shift though.

Sponsored Links
And I suggest that you buy a dualtech detector, rather than a PIR, for a garage. There are too many living creatures that could give you false alarms.

This is also something to consider if you go down the wireless route - try to get a wireless pet-friendly detector. They're pretty rare - and you'll never get a wireless dualtech - but could significantly reduce the chances of false alarms.

Another option would be to fit a (battery backed) power supply to power a conventional dualtech and use its output to trigger a wireless transmitter back to the house. This could be a wireless door contact transmitter, for example.

You can plug it in. It's only a battery charger for the back-up battery when all said and done.

All sounds a bit make-shift though.
... and SO easy to switch off accidentaly, that's why non switched fused spurs are used.

Am I right in thinking I can remove one of my power sockets and exchange it for a fused spur? if so I have no problem wiring alarm into that just was looking for easiest solution. For the garage alarm it would be wired, as I can just run the wires along the wall where as in a house I would want them hidden.

You put on appliance cable, put the plug on the end and plug it in.

This is acceptable practice now for grade 2 systems, and most companies when testing use a plug rather than a fused spur.

I would have a socket with no switch so it cant be accidentally switched off, or section it off so it cant easily be tampered with.

If someone breaks into the garage they see the switch and turn it off or unplug it, alarm rendered useless.

I prefer to use the Spur.

You would replace the socket for a fused spur, I also try to have the fused spur on its own circuit from the main consumer unit (fuse box). Other wise something else trips out the circuit your alarm is on battery backup.

Have come across a few that have had problems due to bulb blowing and the alarm is on the same circuit.

This could run and run...

If you're thinking of taking off one of your sockets, why not just wire a fused spur into the back of the socket and mount it alongside! This will keep everyone happy and only cost you an extra patress/backbox.

As an aside, in the old days there was a system that communicated directly to the police. It was called RedABC and it was powered via a plugtop (no spur) with a label which said "RedABC - DO NOT REMOVE". :eek: To this day, I don't know how they got away with it... :rolleyes:

As an aside, in the old days there was a system that communicated directly to the police. It was called RedABC and it was powered via a plugtop (no spur) with a label which said "RedABC - DO NOT REMOVE". :eek: To this day, I don't know how they got away with it... :rolleyes:
I used to have to go tomy local police HQ to do restets and service this equipment, those were the days.

Been there ! Go to local station show ID to desk sergeant they phone control go to site phone control put on test , do tests phone control get passed to pillar to post to finally get told ok we got an A or B or C lol the good old days ps took one out the other day ! Thought they were only available in Derbyshire ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back