New challenger bell box doesn't silence

Sponsored Links
3 things are going to make this ring ( after the 2 min engineer hold off mode

1 negative at bell trip
2 open tamper
3 no supply to bell

See connections at bottom of page 1.

The only led which I took any notice of on the bell box was a strobing (is that the word) red light, bottom left.

Sponsored Links
So, when it rings after 2 min, that's the 2 min engineer hold off mode?

To clarify, when the delay switch in the bell box is selected to off, the bell rings straight away.

I'm satisfied there is no open tamper, as no tamper light lit.
I would remove wire at terminal B and strobe - at the control panel and see what happens when the 2 mins are up
Ok, I will try that, but it won't be today now unfortunately.

What could I expect to happen, and what would it mean?

(Just thinking ahead...)

If it rings then it’s either tamper or a supply issue …. What does the LED show on the bell box after the time is up ?

I think it just carries on flashing, but I'm not certain - more interested in pulling the battery plug! (not there now)

If it is a supply issue, what voltages between which terminals should I be measuring (in anticipation for my next attempt)?

At panel A and D should be 13.8 approx anything below 11.50 dc would be an issue
At panel between T and D should be same as above proving the tamper return is good

The bell/strobe fuse had indeed blown.

It is a T1AL fuse (I only have F1AL fuses), so will have to get one.

Out of interest, what would typically cause this to blow?

The initial problems with this system began with alarm wouldn't set (the cause of which was a faulty door contact), which led to the discovery of the original bell box not sounding when a mock intrusion was staged. Also there were no lights showing on the old bell box. (I should have realised at this point there was a bell supply issue, rather than blindly changing the bell box, but as I had a new one in storage anyway I went for it. A lesson learnt.)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back