Fitting an RCB/MCB to an outhouse supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a property that has an 8 way distribution board with MCBs, and it's working OK, BUT...

The house has an attached utility room that was obviously separate at one point and has now been roofed over to join up to the main house. This has 1 double socket, 2 light sockets, AND 1 PIR floodlight fitted to it.

All wiring to this comes from an IP65 rated connection box above the kitchen door.

Now, when we ran the dishwasher the first time, all was fine. Then we ran the tumble dryer in the utility alongside it..and 3 times we lost power. No MCBs had gone down, but the main switch has tripped. Reset it and it was fine.

Not happened since, BUT...what options do I have for adding a separate MCB just to the feed from this IP65 rated box? I assume it's just strung off the kitchen socket circuit, and I'd like a little additional "safety" if possible. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
I can post a pic of the consumer unit once we've unboxed under the stairs, yes..:)

As to your other query - I have NO idea at all... :LOL: Still trying to clear a path through the moving boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back