Fitting ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I’ve just attempted fitting my first ceiling rose. Took a photo beforehand, matched all the wires into the same slots but something must be wrong. Every time I try to turn it on its flicking off the main switch. Pics attached if before and after. If anyone is able to advise I’d be super grateful!
Thanks, Ally

Attachments

• 35DA9150-76AB-4166-A24D-9826A305D868.jpeg
    35DA9150-76AB-4166-A24D-9826A305D868.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
I should also say there was a bit of cable also in the pack. I’ll add a pic of that too - should I have used that somewhere??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 188
It looks as it should so can only think you have two of the black wires the wrong way round.

The brown sleeving is to denote which black wire is the switched live wire and should be connected to the brown wire of the light - when you determine which one really is.

The green and yellow is for putting on bare earth wires.

As said - looks right - but you have mixed the black wires up.

If you can determine which black wire goes to the light switch, then that is the black that connects to the brown lampholder wire. But the brown sleeve on that particu;ar black wire.

Sponsored Links
Ah thank you both that makes sense. Is there a way I can check or am I safe to just trial and error??

Testing with a multimeter would be simple to establish which of the black conductors is the switched live. Trial and error swapping wires isn't the way .

Ah thank you both that makes sense. Is there a way I can check or am I safe to just trial and error??
Normally we we say categoryically no!
However you have done exactly the right thing with before and after photos and we know how it should be.

I assume you don't have any test kit, if you do, let us know what.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-7_17-7-41.png
    upload_2020-11-7_17-7-41.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 181
No I don’t have a test kit! So it’s buy one or get someone in then I guess! Trying my best to conquer this DIY. Thank you all for your help!

You can buy a multimeter for around £ 10. And with power OFF do simple continuity testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back