Fitting Hive to Vaillent 831 ecotec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am trying to replace the vrt350f unit with the hive as it is extremely unreliable.
I could really do with some help as I'm going round in circles trying to get the hive to work with this boiler, I'll include photos of all I have done, plus following someone else's wiring guide which (could be my downfall) After fitting all the wiring get the hub working etc. you are supposed to press the central heating button to check everything is wired correctly, nothing happens, the boiler doesn't fire up. When you press the hot water button it starts heating the radiators. Hot water on demand works fine. I do not have a clue why this is not working. Can someone please check my photos and tell me where I am going wrong.
As I don't live in England I had to buy the self-install as British Gas does not exist here.
Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSC_0692.JPG
    DSC_0692.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • DSC_0758.JPG
    DSC_0758.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,768
  • DSC_0759.JPG
    DSC_0759.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 872
  • DSC_0761.JPG
    DSC_0761.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 822
  • DSC_0762.JPG
    DSC_0762.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 783
  • Screenshot_20171119-202143.png
    Screenshot_20171119-202143.png
    649.4 KB · Views: 808
Sponsored Links
Just looking at the photo of the receiver with hot water light on, you have a twin channel version of the Hive, but wired it up as a single channel version. If your boiler is a Combi version, you have the wrong Hive.

Last edited:
Hi Stem thanks, I'll redo the wiring :) I've followed the hand-drawn diagram if that's any help? So am I right in thinking I have to set the inbuilt controller to be permanently on for both hot water and heating? I've not come across that in any other threads, is this a known issue that isn't explained in the Hive instructions?

I've edited my post since you read it after looking at a photo I missed. Here's the edited version.

Just looking at the photo of the receiver with hot water light on, you have a twin channel version of the Hive, but wired it up as a single channel version. If your boiler is a Combi version, you have the wrong Hive.

I've not come across that in any other threads, is this a known issue that isn't explained in the Hive instructions?
There are so many different types / styles of boiler it is impossible for Hive to cover every eventuality, the manual would be 1000's of pages long. The Hive instructions advise on the Hive aspect and the boiler instructions on the boiler aspect. The installer has to marry the two together. You would't expect to find in the boiler manual that it tells you how to connect every type of thermostat made would you.

Anyway it won't help now anyway.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be removing the cover of your boiler unless you're Gas Safe Registered - it forms the safety room seal which ensures correct and safe operation of your boiler

Thanks for your help, unfortunately, didn't understand the single/dual control, as on Amazon there is no option for either and I picked the "heating, hot water" choice. Another expensive doorstop :(

You shouldn't be removing the cover of your boiler unless you're Gas Safe Registered - it forms the safety room seal which ensures correct and safe operation of your boiler
This crops up from time to time, personally find it really odd that boiler wiring terminals, which by their nature are usually the domain of electricians can't be accessed by one because he is not gas safe. Some Vaillant boilers have a simple drop down door that isn't sealed, so that's fairly obviously not room sealed. Others by just looking, especially at the photos on here are difficult to tell. So is there a list of Vaillant boilers somewhere that the wiring can (or can't) be accessed by electricians? And is this daft idea unique to Vaillant?

Thanks for your help, unfortunately, didn't understand the single/dual control, as on Amazon there is no option for either and I picked the "heating, hot water" choice. Another expensive doorstop :(
If this is a Combi boiler just move the grey wire from 3 to 4 and the yellow/green (earth) wire to Earth at both ends and it will control your heating. The hot water side of the hive won't do anything.

Glad to hear you got it working. I didn't suggest that because I assumed you wanted to do proper job. But if you are OK with it like that all well and good.

What was wrong with the 350f? The valliant vsmart allows smart control of the boiler

The 350F has been problematic eversince ive had the bolier installed. Switching on by itself and losing connection, wanted to try a different solution.

This crops up from time to time, personally find it really odd that boiler wiring terminals, which by their nature are usually the domain of electricians can't be accessed by one because he is not gas safe. Some Vaillant boilers have a simple drop down door that isn't sealed, so that's fairly obviously not room sealed. Others by just looking, especially at the photos on here are difficult to tell. So is there a list of Vaillant boilers somewhere that the wiring can (or can't) be accessed by electricians? And is this daft idea unique to Vaillant?

Sorry, slow reply. I'd say the wiring terminals are usually the domain of the boiler installer, and where he chooses to use an electrician to wire up his installation, he will be there to commission the boiler after wiring and therefore able to ensure the correct safety checks are carried out.

As for which manufacturers have this setup of exposing the combustion chamber in order to access the wiring, off the top of my head, and in no particular order...
Vaillant
Worcester
Ideal
Intergas
Ravenheat
The newer Baxi ranges
Probably others as well, but that covers a decent amount of boilers

=================================================
Please note the "DIY GAS" sticky post at the top of this section. We specifically include removal of the combustion chamber cover, in what we don't want to see advice covering. If that means boiler connections for a relevant boiler, the answer has to be, "I'm sorry but we are unable ..."

Mod
See https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/diy-gas.8090/

=================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say the wiring terminals are usually the domain of the boiler installer, and where he chooses to use an electrician to wire up his installation, he will be there to commission the boiler after wiring and therefore able to ensure the correct safety checks are carried out.
For a new install that's certainly true, but a bit of a pain when it's just electrical work such as a controls upgrade (Seen a few of them lately ;)) or a to diagnose a difficult electrical fault post installation. I wonder how many sparkies when they need to fault find, get a Gas Safe guy to open up the casing for them to test the wiring and put it back afterwards. Maybe boilers are designed in countries where they don't have the same regulations as us so it doesn't present a problem. Nonetheless, there must be some advantages for them to put the controls in there. But I can't work out what they would be. Putting electrical circuitry in a sealed cabinet with a combustion chamber goes against the grain a bit...guess I'm just getting old and set in my ways now....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back