fitting new cooker and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like some advise on how to fit a new cooker and hob.?
My old cooker was supplied via 6mm cable on a 32mcb but was then plugged in under cabinet.
I now want to fit a induction hob rating 6kw and new oven rating at 2.6kw, both from ikea. The oven comes with cable but no plug.
What would be the best way to install both appliances without messying around with new cables.?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you'll have to mess around with cable for the hob as it does not come with any?

Is there RCD on this circuit?

Yeah, the hob comes without the cable.? so need advise on that.?

Also the CU has a 63a RCD fitted already for main switch.?

Cheers.

Cannot advise on cable type or size until we know the load the hob will draw and any spec the manufacturer demands. Do you have an installation manual or can you post pictures of the underneath of the hob?

Sponsored Links
In general separate hob and oven can be supplied in same way as stand alone units using a double cooker outlet plate.

As long as the same MCB is used worse case scenario is the MCB will trip. Some British ovens will recommend the use of a Fused Connection Unit (FCU) but in Europe often the oven is above the 13A limit so can't use them.

The MCB tripping in its self can produce danger where cooling fans fail but in real terms it is unlikely it will trip.

The induction hob often has a boost function which makes one at first glance think it's going to use far more power. However other than boiling a pan of plain water the boost is so high it can't really be used it just burns everything.

The better control (assuming no silly touch controls) and more efficient working means in real terms it uses less power than the old halogen hob. There are a few with silly touch controls, which in real terms means it takes longer to turn it down, so you end up lifting pans rather than just turning down.

There are exceptions of course but in the main there is not problem. In this country Part P means to alter the wiring DIY will cost a fortune. Across the border in England you need to wait until April.

The regs state that appliances bigger than 2kW should have their own circuit.

For the sake of convenience, if the oven could go on its own socket that would be great as it would mean that if the hob ever failed & the MCB tripped, the oven would still operate.

But, as in the good old days when you had stand-alone cookers, you can still have the oven and hob on one supply.

Although the regs don't specify, OSG advises that that the isolation switch should be within 2m of both appliances.

The switch should be accessible to prevent danger to the operator and in a readily accesible position.

You can use diversity in the calculation to install your cooking appliances:

Take 10A of the total design current.

From the remainder, calculate 30%.

Add these two together.

Add 5A to this total if there's a socket outlet on the cooker switch.

The labels are ambiguous, as one says 6kW, the other says 3.5kW x 2 (7kW) and the other (totalled up) comes to 8.2kW!

But, in any case, the worst-case scenario is 46.95A design curent.

So, including a socket outlet, 26.09A is the load with diversity taken into account.

What cable does the manual say to use for the hob?

I think its 4mm, I'll post a pic of manual.

I have a 6mm supply, dont need a socket at cooker switch.

Can i fit a 13amp plug to oven as it comes with its own cable as my old oven was installed like this and would i be able to use the 6mm supply with socket for oven and hard wire the hob or can i plug the oven into a socket on ring main and use the 6mm just for hob.?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

This is all a bit long-winded.

My old cooker was supplied via 6mm cable on a 32mcb but was then plugged in under cabinet.
Not a cooker, then - oven?

I now want to fit a induction hob rating 6kw and new oven rating at 2.6kw, both from ikea. The oven comes with cable but no plug.
What would be the best way to install both appliances without messying around with new cables.?
Replace the socket with a dual cooker outlet connector and use 4mm² flex to both the hob and the oven.

A 32A mcb will cope with 15 kW appliances and integral switch socket.
Actually 19kW without socket but no one ever mentions that.

This sounds like what i was hoping, easy job and no messing around with new cable from CU.
Was worried about the 6mm cable i already have and that the appliances are to powerfull. If i can fit the two appliances to this, then thats what i'll do.

Thanks again for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back