Fitting new light - 9 wire, 4 terminal ceiling rose to 6 wire, 3 terminal terminal box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a couple of new lights and I understand the existing ceiling rose and how the nine wires from the three cables go in. I now have a light from Dunelm and it has a terminal box with two terminals for live, two for earth, and two for neutral.

I have been looking on the internet and other people have similar issues but nobody seems to have nine wires in the initial configuration.

I have seen this https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose which seems to solve the problem, the only question is what do I get to house the three live wires?
I think this is what I need but can anybody confirm?

- Wago 221 3 way terminal block, or can I buy a terminal strip and just screw all three wires into one terminal? Would I need the 6A terminal strip?

- A ChocBox connector box to house said block/strip

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have 3 earth conductors ,will the fittings " two terminal block" accommodate them ?
A wago connector with 3 ports is fine to use for the 3 lives as long as there is space in the fitting to house it.

Take off the "terminal box with two terminals for live, two for earth, and two for neutral".
On your exicting ceiling rose, put the two lives in the switched live, the two earths in the earth and the two neutrals in the neutral terminal.

Take off the "terminal box with two terminals for live, two for earth, and two for neutral".
On your exicting ceiling rose, put the two lives in the switched live, the two earths in the earth and the two neutrals in the neutral terminal.
Really , I don't think so.

Sponsored Links
You have 3 earth conductors ,will the fittings " two terminal block" accommodate them ?
A wago connector with 3 ports is fine to use for the 3 lives as long as there is space in the fitting to house it.

The three earth... I think the terminal block will, as the link to the instructions in my first post shows all the wires going into just one section of the terminal block, similar to how it works in plug sockets.

Hmm... I'll have to check the space. I might want to buy both things just to be sure. In that case, do you think this would do ?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/6a-12-terminal-terminal-strips-10-pack/60804

Maybe I could just snap one off and screw the three live into one terminal?

Yes ,you could just use one off the strip,and put all 3 live conductors into it.

Hi, I don't think I can do that, I think the terminal box connects to the cables going into the light so I need to use it.

As it turned out, all the lives wires were hidden and not included in the ceiling rose set up so it was all very straightforward. Cheers to all who helped!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back