Flat Roof Questions (and roofer rant)

S

seabro

Hi all,
I am not thinking of DIYing this but I have some questions which I hope you can answer?

I have a garage roof which is one roof across my and neighbours detached garage. Both roofs are ruined but neighbour doesn't want to have theirs repaired.

My concern is the join, I have talked to a few roofers and all but one of them said they would simple overlap onto neighbours side by about 18 inches. Is this acceptable? Sounds like I am at their roofers mercy when they get theirs done - what if he is a cowboy?

One roofer said he would out a 2x4 down and EPDM my side and their would be a lip between the two roofs, this sounded better to me. I told him to go ahead and he didn't turn up.. twice.

I just want to get it done, and now I am back speaking to roofers and their saying things like, can you speak to the neighbour and ask them to get theirs done. Nooooo I have been around this block too many times I just want a roof.

So far I have had:

Didn't call me back.
Called back but didn't turn up to quote.
Turned up to quote but never sent the quote.
Turned up, sent a quote and didn't turn up to do the job.

My tenant thinks I am a billy liar!

Anyway, I went a bit off topic. How do proper roofers deal with only doing half of what is effectively one large roof?

Thanks for your help.

ps. The guy who didn't turn up to do the work, he was going to 18mm board straight over the existing felt, no removing anything just straight over then the Firestone EPDM over the boards. Is this standard practice? Cheaper than a skip I suppose.

Sponsored Links
We cut straight through the centre line, remove all existing roof covering and boards.
Fit 8x2 x 18mm osb3 t&g boards.
Glue down epdm, lapping just over centre line, onto neighbours roof, fit a termination bar with cut of mastic.
Done properly gives a water tight joint.
Easily removable should the neighbour need to do their roof in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back