flexible connection to the gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a gas meter and, during a house survey (I am trying to sell my house) the surveyor noted:

"No flexible connection to the gas meter". This has sppoked my prospective purchasers.

Looking at the attached image, is there something that needs to be done? And if so, is it correct that Nation Grid will do so, without charge?

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Tibbot - appreciate the quick reply. So in fact, it is up to the energy provider and there is no *legal requirement* for every property to have a flexible connection?
cheers

Getting National Grid to do anything is likely to be near impossible unless its either leaking or faulty. It may not comply with current regs but until they have to change it they wont.

My service pipe/governor dates from town gas days, the National Grid guy who came to fix a leak (that National Grid caused changing the meter....) said it was unlikely anything would be done unless it started leaking....

Sponsored Links
Why on earth would that be recorded on a survey is beyond me.Totally irrelevant in my opinion and why that should spook buyers is a mystery.I would question the surveyor.

Some surveyors attempt to show an in depth knowledge of all trades, but obviously they don't. Their remit is more about covering their own ass than helping the buyer find genuine issues of concern.

They try to show that they have really earned the pay for the 15 minutes they take to complete a £450.00 Homebuyers survey.

Thanks all. Could not agree more re the surveyor - completely useless and you wouldn't believe some of the other things on there.

Just to let you all know, I called NPower to ask for their help. In less than 10 minutes on the phone, I have a National Grid appt on Mon 29th to come and fit the flexible connector (anaconda).

FREE OF CHARGE!

Still need to get my hands on that surveyopr though............. :evil:

Surveyor has not got a clue a meter can be solid fixed on both sides, send him a bill for your time and his lack of knowledge .
I would imagine when the NG guy turns up he will just say thats perfectly ok and better than an anaconda and not change it

The meter is currently reliant on the fixed pipework for support. Fitting a hose on the inlet without securing the bracket to the wall would be a retrograde step.

Surveyors know nothing...overpaid idiots IMHO. Have come across some very corrupt ones over the years clearly on a back-hander from other trades.

thanks Namsag and Gasguru. Not sure what to do now really. It is the prospective owners who want this done, so may as well let the NG guy turn up and see what he says.......
cheers

Ridiculous!
What I suspect may happen is that the guy will turn up, but although nothing may be wrong (enough) he'll get paid more if he does more. He can't alter the outlet pipework ( which isn't his, so he'll only join up to it) but he could fix the bracket to the wall, which would then probably need TWO flexible connections.
DO tell us what he does :LOL:

Two flexible connections not allowed. It's in the BS somewhere...

I believe it is if the meter bracket's properly fixed to the wall.

BS6400 2006,
8.9.2 says "only 1 pliable (semi rigid) connection shall be used" on a meter installation, with ref to 8.6.1b for reasoning which is to minimise movement and reduce risk of tampering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back