flexible pipework for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, i'm trying to tap into my bath pipes to create pipework for my shower. i am struggling to get a copper pipe to connect with the exisitng pipe and could do with using something more flexible. would there be an issue using something like: https://www.toolstation.com/pushfit-tap-connector/p26986 or something similar that is designed for a shower(water coming from combi boiler) for part of the pipework.

i've drawn a diagram to make it easier to understand. the reason for not being able to chase into the wall is the work space there is extremely tight, i have spent a day and a half with all kinds of tools but its solid wall and i don't have enough of an angle to make the required space.

current state:
current.jpg

what i was planning:
want.jpg

what i want to do now:
solution.jpg

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
You could also surface mount the pipes and do it in chrome plated fittings, although dearer.

Sponsored Links
1. What you are trying to do is only appropriate if you have a combi boiler or and unvented hot water system.
2. Using flexi hoses in what may be an inaccessible position is a poor idea because:
2a. Flexi hoses are more likely to deteriorate than proper pipes, and a leak with no access is a disaster.
2b. Flexi hoses have very narrow bores and will reduce the available water flow rate.
3. Looking at your "current situation" diagram what is the offset distance from the desired copper pipe to the existing pipe. (For both pipes).
4. Depending on the answer to 3., you might be able to use 2 x 45 degree elbows and a short length of 15 mm pipe to bridge the offset. Alternatively you might try bernardgreen's suggestion, but would probably have to join to the new copper further up the wall.

1. What you are trying to do is only appropriate if you have a combi boiler or and unvented hot water system.
2. Using flexi hoses in what may be an inaccessible position is a poor idea because:
2a. Flexi hoses are more likely to deteriorate than proper pipes, and a leak with no access is a disaster.
2b. Flexi hoses have very narrow bores and will reduce the available water flow rate.
3. Looking at your "current situation" diagram what is the offset distance from the desired copper pipe to the existing pipe. (For both pipes).
4. Depending on the answer to 3., you might be able to use 2 x 45 degree elbows and a short length of 15 mm pipe to bridge the offset. Alternatively you might try bernardgreen's suggestion, but would probably have to join to the new copper further up the wall.

thanks, i'm going to go for bernardgreen suggestion, i have flexibility on joining to the existing pipe lower down so can join the new copper at the bottom.
i was worried about the bore sizes but forgot to bring it up in my initial post, some were as small as 8mm, although the majority were 12.....given i should get the full 15 and it's flexible, it's a win-win for me :)

actually, on reading the description more carefully, look like the bore size is 12.7mm........................so may look into oldbuffer's suggestion of 2 45deg turns.......will measure in the morning and see if it's doable....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back