Flights ground to a halt....

You are cleverer then him

Any way leaving that to one side I reckon ? You are a remainer ?

Note I did not say a remoaner

No.

If he wants to keep having a personal pop, then he has to expect it back.

Remainer, brexiteer or other !

Sponsored Links
Clearly as you've so much trouble with understanding the written word. Another question that you won't answer: Where have I said that I am a lot 'cleverer' than you?

Now back to Brexit.
You seem to have little understanding as to how we arrived at the mess we are in now. It's too simple, and stupid to blame the people who voted out then say everything rests on their shoulders. It's that kind of complacency that was partly to blame.

Never actually said it. Always trying to imply it.

As for responsibility.

Everybody had a vote, it comes with a responsibility. Or is it ok to vote for something and let others sort out the mess? That is irresponsible ?

I keep getting told brexiteers understood fully what they were voting for. Or didn't they?

Of course the leaders have to take responsibility too. Will they ?

You let people avoid the blame if you want. I won't !

I see lots of criminals with a lot more money than me. Does that mean I shouid vote for crime ? Or to see a bigger picture and vote for what I think is right? Responsibility !

Asian gang sexual abuse because you played the race card over the years ? Thus silencing those who wanted to speak out ?
Until I read that I honestly did not believe that you would ever need to pretend to be even more hard-of-thinking than you actually are.

Asian gang sexual abuse happened because I "played the race card" over the years?

Bonkers.

Look more closely, and actually bother to think about what "political correctness" really is, and more importantly what it is not.

If it is anything, it is simply the principle that you should think about the things you say and do to avoid needlessly, thoughtlessly or gratuitously giving offence to people.

It does not mean that councils cannot put up Christmas lights for fear of offending non-Christians.

It does not mean that the "Baa Baa Black Sheep" nursery rhyme has to have its words changed.

It does not exist in the pejorative sense meant by those who use the term to complain. In that sense it is a concept invented by people who wish to discredit liberal and progressive social policies.

And I suspect you are one of those people, or you are someone who has been brainwashed by the likes of the Mail and the Express into believing that is what PC is. What you or your fellow travellers do is to promulgate that notion (or, if that doesn't work, make up lies such as councils banning Christmas lights) so that you can bang on about "political correctness gone mad", your ultimate aim being to bring about an environment where any criticism of racism, or sexism, (or <whatever>ism), is all daft and over-sensitive, and is all "political correctness gone mad", and slowly and insidiously that view takes hold.

What happens then is that people start to act as if political correctness means bending over backwards to not give offence where none can be taken, or to deliberately avoid doing anything where gender, or race, or whatever is a genuine factor.

What happens then is that some people running nurseries think they do have to change the words of Baa Baa Black Sheep. Which is stupid and offensive to anybody who can think.

What happens then is that child sexual exploitation goes on for years and years without being properly investigated because the agencies involved believe that political correctness means it would be "racist" go after the perpetrators because they are Asian. How many children's lives were utterly and permanently ruined because people like you created this false notion of what "political correctness" is?

Look more closely, and actually bother to think about what "political correctness" really is, and more importantly what it is not.

If it is anything, it is simply the principle that you should think about the things you say and do to avoid needlessly, thoughtlessly or gratuitously giving offence to people.

It does not mean that councils cannot put up Christmas lights for fear of offending non-Christians.
That sounds fair enough.
However, are you saying that no similar things are ever implemented because people such as councillors mistakenly think someone might be offended?
If so, what is it called and what do we do about it and them?

It does not mean that the "Baa Baa Black Sheep" nursery rhyme has to have its words changed.
Can you guarantee that that or similar things have never been proposed?

It does not exist in the pejorative sense meant by those who use the term to complain. In that sense it is a concept invented by people who wish to discredit liberal and progressive social policies.
That might be semantically correct but wishing to discredit liberal and progressive policies that have gone too far does exist. What, then, is that called and what can be done about it?

And I suspect you are one of those people, or you are someone who has been brainwashed by the likes of the Mail and the Express into believing that is what PC is. What you or your fellow travellers do is to promulgate that notion (or, if that doesn't work, make up lies such as councils banning Christmas lights) so that you can bang on about "political correctness gone mad", your ultimate aim being to bring about an environment where any criticism of racism, or sexism, (or <whatever>ism), is all daft and over-sensitive, and is all "political correctness gone mad", and slowly and insidiously that view takes hold.
That also applies the other way round, though, doesn't it? I.e. NO criticism allowed.

What happens then is that people start to act as if political correctness means bending over backwards to not give offence where none can be taken, or to deliberately avoid doing anything where gender, or race, or whatever is a genuine factor.
So, what do you call that if not political correctness gone mad?

What happens then is that some people running nurseries think they do have to change the words of Baa Baa Black Sheep. Which is stupid and offensive to anybody who can think.
So, NOT politically correct, then.

What happens then is that child sexual exploitation goes on for years and years without being properly investigated because the agencies involved believe that political correctness means it would be "racist" go after the perpetrators because they are Asian. How many children's lives were utterly and permanently ruined because people like you created this false notion of what "political correctness" is?
Why is it not those that implement these stupid policies who are to blame instead of those who complain about them?

That didn't apply in Savile' s case; how do you know that is the reason now?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am not sure that is correct. What you describe is merely being polite and good manners.

I know you are not averse to offending people in that manner so are you not politically correct?

Do people have a right never to be offended?

I would say politically correct is when someone else makes the decision believing (whether true or not) that others will be offended and deems whatever it was should henceforth be unacceptable.
This, clearly, is open to abuse and error.
Therefore such a belief when not true could indeed be classed as political correctness gone mad.

A meaningless example is the inexplicable ridiculous fad that actresses be called actors.
Should I refuse to accept and comply with this nonsense, am I therefore politically incorrect?

The next step and less meaningless is the law introduced in Canada mandating the use of certain pronouns of choice by various transgender people. This really is political correctness gone mad.

As I saw recently - 1984 was a warning; not a manual.

That sounds fair enough.
However, are you saying that no similar things are ever implemented because people such as councillors mistakenly think someone might be offended?
They do happen, because that is the result of the campaign by those opposed to liberal and progressive policies. They want the idea that you should think about the things you say and do to avoid needlessly, thoughtlessly or gratuitously giving offence to people to be considered a ridiculous idea, so they constantly invent ridiculous examples which they claim PC is so that they can then ridicule the concept.

The problem that creates is that people who are inclined to to liberal and progressive policies, or who do want to avoid needlessly, thoughtlessly or gratuitously giving offence to people start taking on board the message that they can't put up Christmas lights for fear of offending non-Christians, or that they have to change the words of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Or that they must not treat one group of suspects the way they would treat any other if that group happens to be comprised, or predominantly comprised, of a particular ethnic minority, as would be racism.

The opponents of liberal values do not give a toss about the collateral damage they cause, and will go so far as to blame the existence of something they claim to be fighting but have in fact been responsible for creating.

If so, what is it called and what do we do about it and them?
Stupidity, ignorance, incompetence.

And what we do is to oppose it. What we do is to constantly resist the illiberal crew. What we do is to vote such politicians out, and where possible prosecute them for failing to uphold the law, do their duty, etc.

That might be semantically correct but wishing to discredit liberal and progressive policies that have gone too far does exist. What, then, is that called and what can be done about it?
1) There are no liberal and progressive policies that have gone too far.
2) It is called fascism, and what can be done is whatever is necessary to crush it.

That also applies the other way round, though, doesn't it? I.e. NO criticism allowed.
No criticism of what is allowed?

So, what do you call that if not political correctness gone mad?
Just "mad", as it is not "political correctness".

So, NOT politically correct, then.
No, but that's the problem. The racists, the Islamophobes, the homophobes, the anti-Semites, the misogynists, the fascists and so on want you to think that it is.

Why is it not those that implement these stupid policies who are to blame instead of those who complain about them?
Both groups are to blame.

Those who wish to put an end to liberal and progressive policies, and those who are so lacking in thought that they allow themselves to be brainwashed by them.

That didn't apply in Savile' s case; how do you know that is the reason now?
I thought that an inquiry into the failings of one of the major cases of investigation into child grooming and exploitation identified fear of being considered racist as a major factor in the reluctance of the investigators and protection agencies to pursue the perpetrators properly.

It's a co-operative union of neighbouring, like-minded nations for their mutual benefit.

Glad to help reduce your ignorance.
Its a good idea,but in fact Germany does much better financially from the EU than any other country.

Its a good idea,but in fact Germany does much better financially from the EU than any other country.

From the EU, or from the euro?

Most reports suggest Ireland has benefited most from the EU.

Its a good idea, AND in fact Germany does CONTRIBUTE much more financially TO the EU than any other country

They do happen, because that is the result of the campaign by those opposed to liberal and progressive policies.
Why is it not because of liberal and progressive policies going too far?

They want the idea that you should think about the things you say and do to avoid needlessly, thoughtlessly or gratuitously giving offence to people to be considered a ridiculous idea, so they constantly invent ridiculous examples which they claim PC is so that they can then ridicule the concept.
That you do not call such ridiculous examples PC; does not detract from those examples being proposed and ridiculous.

The problem that creates is that people who are inclined to to liberal and progressive policies, or who do want to avoid needlessly, thoughtlessly or gratuitously giving offence to people start taking on board the message that they can't put up Christmas lights for fear of offending non-Christians, or that they have to change the words of Baa Baa Black Sheep.
Then that is the fault of them being stupid - but it could still be termed PC gone mad because the PC proponents are mad.

Or that they must not treat one group of suspects the way they would treat any other if that group happens to be comprised, or predominantly comprised, of a particular ethnic minority, as would be racism.
I still feel you are missing the point.

The opponents of liberal values do not give a toss about the collateral damage they cause, and will go so far as to blame the existence of something they claim to be fighting but have in fact been responsible for creating.
It is not the opponents of liberal values who cause the problem, but the proponents of the liberal policies going too far.

It is not the fault of opponents that proponents have:
Stupidity, ignorance, incompetence.

And what we do is to oppose it. What we do is to constantly resist the illiberal crew. What we do is to vote such politicians out, and where possible prosecute them for failing to uphold the law, do their duty, etc.
Why not throw out those who take notice and try to implement such nonsense?

1) There are no liberal and progressive policies that have gone too far.
2) It is called fascism, and what can be done is whatever is necessary to crush it.
Yes there are - the Canadian new law.

No criticism of what is allowed?
Criticism of minority groups when they are wrong.

Just "mad", as it is not "political correctness".
Perhaps it's "mad correctness gone political".
That you say what people call "PCGM" is not actually "PC" at all does not detract from what is meant by "PCGM">

No, but that's the problem. The racists, the Islamophobes, the homophobes, the anti-Semites, the misogynists, the fascists and so on want you to think that it is.
Yes, but also a problem is that once deemed a minority, these groups treat justified criticism as if It is a phobia{sic}.

Both groups are to blame.
Exactly. So - a rose by any other name.

Those who wish to put an end to liberal and progressive policies, and those who are so lacking in thought that they allow themselves to be brainwashed by them.
Ok.

I thought that an inquiry into the failings of one of the major cases of investigation into child grooming and exploitation identified fear of being considered racist as a major factor in the reluctance of the investigators and protection agencies to pursue the perpetrators properly.
I find that so lacking in credibility to be almost laughable.
Is it really to be believed that no Police Officer or anyone else was more interested in justice?

It does not seem to affect Police Officers in the same way as far as another race is concerned.

Why is it not because of liberal and progressive policies going too far?
Because there aren't any such polocies, except in the warped minds of people fundamentally opposed to any such policies.

It is not I who is missing the point. There is a significant number of people who are fundamentally opposed to liberal and progressive policies. They are fundamentally opposed to being told that they may not use racist, homophobic, misogynistic etc language, that they must not unfairly discriminate against others because of race/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation/gender/etc.

"political correctness", is basically politeness (as you observed) plus, importantly, a willingness to take note of what others tell you they find offensive or pejorative and to do your best to adapt accordingly. So for those people who want you to use a non-binary pronoun when addressing or referring to them - WOE not? How does doing it cause you actual problems? Why gratuitously persist in addressing them in a way which they have asked you not to do? It's not as if you have never encountered, possible even used, something like this:

"Someone knocked on my door yesterday, and when I opened it they tried to sell me double glazing" when "they" refers to one person, not more than one.

I know that you get exercised over actor/actress, but is it so much trouble to use one word rather than another that you would prefer to knowingly upset someone?

What the opponents of liberal and progressive policies do is to take a concept which might be termed "political correctness" and then start making ludicrous claims about what it is. They'll say that "You can't put up Christmas lights, as that's not PC - it will offend non-Christians". They'll say "Can't have Baa Baa Black Sheep any more, it's not PC".

Their aim is to create the belief that everything "PC" is a nonsense because they want to dismiss criticism of their racist, homophobic, misogynistic etc behaviour as nonsense. Unfortunately, on the way, they succeed in making some people think that you really mustn't put up Christmas lights, or sing Baa Baa Black sheep any more.

It is not the opponents of liberal values who cause the problem, but the proponents of the liberal policies going too far.
It is the opponents who are the root cause of the problem if they have convinced others to go too far.

Why not throw out those who take notice and try to implement such nonsense?
That's what I said.

Yes there are - the Canadian new law.
:?:

Criticism of minority groups when they are wrong.
And who says you can't do that?

Perhaps it's "mad correctness gone political".
That you say what people call "PCGM" is not actually "PC" at all does not detract from what is meant by "PCGM">
You are still missing the point. What is meant (really intended) by those who use that term is "anything and everything which is good behaviour an which could reasonably be termed PC is utterly ridiculous".

In the same way that if you scratch the skin of someone who bangs on about "health and safety gone mad" you will almost certainly find someone who is opposed to "health and safety" full stop, if you look closely at those who bang on about "political correctness gone mad" you won't find people whose focus of complaint is the "gone mad" bit, you'll find people who are opposed to any form of the "politically correct" bit.

Yes, but also a problem is that once deemed a minority, these groups treat justified criticism as if It is a phobia{sic}.
In those circumstances those groups need to be corrected.

I find that so lacking in credibility to be almost laughable.
Is it really to be believed that no Police Officer or anyone else was more interested in justice?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28951612

Proves my point.Germany do best from EU so give most back
They don't do the best from it, they do the best in it.

There is not one single aspect of being in the EU that has benefited Germany that could not have equally benefited the UK. The things wrong here which are not wrong in Germany are not down to the EU preventing us, they are down to us not running things properly. It is not the EU's fault that Germany exports three times as much to China as we do, it is our fault. It is not the EU's fault that we destroyed our manufacturing base, it is our fault. It is not the EU's fault that we squandered our North Sea oil and gas revenues, it is our fault. It is not the EU's fault that we don't have enough affordable housing, it is our fault. It is not the EU's fault that migrant workers are entitled to full unemployment benefit from Day 1, it is our fault.

Sponsored Links
Back