FLOOD!!! (lots of pictures, dial up beware)

We actually have no side access, neither do next door, the 2 houses have been extended to form a separated terrace, though next doors's is a garage through which (i think) the water flows from the street. I might suggest to him that he sandbag up his garage doors, and see if it makes any difference, but theres still the water from the gardens above us. We have sandbagged across the driveway, so neither of our cars can get in now.

Sponsored Links
oh dear.... fingers crosed.

I get flooded, most of garden does.. but so far and very fortunately.. not up to my house.

we do get flooded up the village and every one of the three access routes gets blocks off.

poor you (and everyone else in your shoes)

pal 'up the village' has new door costing six thousand pounds to prevent flooding to her house.

good luck to you x

One thing often overlooked when making a house water tight with a perimeter of sandbag defences is the drains which flow backwards into your property...

If the water level round your house is higher than your toilet pan stuff a sand bag down it because what goes down your neighbour's pan may just come out from your pan.

bernardgreen said:
One thing often overlooked when making a house water tight with a perimeter of sandbag defences is the drains which flow backwards into your property...
It's that fact that makes me wonder in bewilderment when you see people on the news allowing their children to play in the flood water, god knows what diseases they may pick up! cholera, salmonella, at the very least an upset stomach.

Sponsored Links
It's that fact that makes me wonder in bewilderment when you see people on the news allowing their children to play in the flood water, god knows what diseases they may pick up! cholera, salmonella, at the very least an upset stomach

Mostly the contamination in flowing water is so dilute that it is more like a crude vaccination than a full dose. Gives the body's immune system knowledge of another few germs so it can be ready next time with anti-bodies.

But static water is different and would carry a much higher risk.

:confused: but there is likely to be sewage washed up into the floodwater as well as rats swimming up from the drains
And you might get a cut from an unseen object under the surface

bernardgreen said:
It's that fact that makes me wonder in bewilderment when you see people on the news allowing their children to play in the flood water, god knows what diseases they may pick up! cholera, salmonella, at the very least an upset stomach

Mostly the contamination in flowing water is so dilute that it is more like a crude vaccination than a full dose. Gives the body's immune system knowledge of another few germs so it can be ready next time with anti-bodies.

But static water is different and would carry a much higher risk.
Looking at the newsreels the water was pretty much static and an awful brown colour,hoping that was mainly mud ;)

fingers crossed for you, looks like youve been lucky (ridiculous thing to say but you know what i mean!)

still at least you got a few days off of school! :LOL:

I wish i got a few days off work, that'll be the day (well, august'll be the day)

A big sweeping lorry came yesterday and cleaned the street. Sprayed and swept it, and jet washed the pavements, because there were tide marks of white stuff, didnt look too friendly. :eek:

bernardgreen said:

If the water level round your house is higher than your toilet pan stuff a sand bag down it because what goes down your neighbour's pan may just come out from your pan.

This happens in the cellar of my local pub every time there is a heavy downpour.

His cellar is the lowest point on the street, so the first drain to back up whenever there is too much water for the drains to cope with.

He has now fitted a bung into the drain which is only removed when the cellar drain is required. The last thing you want is your beer floating in four feet of sewage :mad:

In a buiding I used to work in there where toilets below ground floor level and the sewers, so a clapper valve and pressurised system was used to pump the effluent back up to the sewer the valve was a big cast iron job and made a racket when the effluent reached the point where it had to go.
Only problem was when the pit surrounding the valve pump arrangement filled up too high and someone would have to volunteer to switch the bilge pump on to empty the pit, trouble was the switch was halfway down the pit, euggh not a nice job!

I have been in places below ground level where the sewage was collected in a holding tank, and periodically squirted above ground to the sewage plant with compressed air.

Presumably it gave some advantage over using an ordinary pump.

JohnD said:
I have been in places below ground level where the sewage was collected in a holding tank, and periodically squirted above ground to the sewage plant with compressed air.

Presumably it gave some advantage over using an ordinary pump.
Yep thats the same system the Clapper valve is like a sprung loaded flap that allows the effluent to pass when a certain pressure has been achieved and then springs shut as the pressure drops once the nasties have passed and all thats left is air.

I once had to go on site to change a motor on a machine that the company i worked for made..
the company makes sewage treatment machines..

what no one told me was that i'd have to stand in 2 feet of concentrated sewage to do it..

got on site, the guy handed me a pair of waders and said "I hope you didn't have a big breakfast.."

it was surprisingly warm.. and after the initial retching, about half an hour in, you didn't notice the smell..

ColJack said:
I once had to go on site to change a motor on a machine that the company i worked for made..
the company makes sewage treatment machines..

what no one told me was that i'd have to stand in 2 feet of concentrated sewage to do it..

got on site, the guy handed me a pair of waders and said "I hope you didn't have a big breakfast.."

it was surprisingly warm.. and after the initial retching, about half an hour in, you didn't notice the smell..
Nice! :LOL: just be careful of any sparks with all that methane.

Sponsored Links
Back