floorboards, how do you cut yours?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to cut a board at both ends today in a cupboard to get the cables in, and it was a real pain with the immersion heater in there and various pipes in the way..

I used my floorboard hand saw and it must have taken me 35 mins.. not great..

I'm after alternatives used by "the pro's" who do house bashing for a living.. ( I was mainly commercial / industrial until this job.. I have all sorts of tools and gadgets skewed to that side for tray and trunking and conduit and the likes.. )

I was thinking a battery powered vibrating saw thing.. like the "worx" thing.. are they any good and do you have a recomendation?

Sponsored Links
I bought a mains Bosch vibrating jobby from Amazon when there was an offer on, does the job ok, but I only do an occasional domestic, main use is slotting plastic trunking

Sponsored Links
we can't use 240v stuff, so either needs to be a 110V one, or battery..

the Li ion ones would be a good bet since they hold charge very well I'm told..
most are 10.8V Li ion...
B&Q have several types on offer at the moment, save £50 and so on,

the Bosch one only comes with 1 battery ( how many floorboards would I be planning to do in a day to need a second battey? )

Am with Detlef, defo the multitool.

Not sure how long batt would last but I have some other Bosch 10.8V and they generally last well. New batts are £30.

The tool is great for making minimal and neat cuts and cuts the tongue quickly. Watch out to avoid nails though as the blades will blunt quickly and are not cheap.

Or could use a circ saw, though I do not like cutting into neighbouring boards unneccesarily.

Regards

we can't use 240v stuff, so either needs to be a 110V one, or battery..

the Li ion ones would be a good bet since they hold charge very well I'm told..
most are 10.8V Li ion...
B&Q have several types on offer at the moment, save £50 and so on,

the Bosch one only comes with 1 battery ( how many floorboards would I be planning to do in a day to need a second battey? )

I have a Bosch blue range 10.8v li-lon muititool and they are excellent, it come with 2 batteries. A full charged battery is enough for 8 cuts across floorboard. It take 15 minutes to recharge.

Dan.

I bought my Fein Multimaster yonks ago.
At the time I considered it a moment of extravagance, but it's one of the best things I've ever bought - wouldn't be without it when trapping boards.

You can get the bosch in 110v if needed...
I have a 240v one, makes a very nice job of floorboards :]

I've got the Blue Bosch GOP multi tool, wouldn't be without it now. If it blew up tomorrow I'd buy another without a doubt, but register it online and you get a 3yr warranty.

Gives lovely neat cuts, can get it in almost anywhere, its not too messy and doesn't damage the boards next to it. Its also excellent for the perfect cuts for backboxes in plasterboard, and releiving studwork for backboxes.

Watch out for nails as the Bosch blades wear out pretty quick and are quite pricey (£10-20 for a wood blade), however you can get 'shark blades' on ebay that work and last very well for about £4 a blade :D :D

i have cut down a jigsaw blade to 21.5mm with a flat square end
you can start from a 12mm hole or on the jigsaw on its nose
now it takes a bit off getting used to but with pendulum on you can proceed slowly but steady
the blade doesn't cut the bottom 3mm it nips it on the end off the blade but as your only talking a fag paper per stroke [3000 spm]you dont even notice

on several board i start with the circular with ultra fine kerf and finish both ends with the short blade

i have the bosch blue 10.8 and its brilliant and great in confined spaces

fein multimaster for me. As previous poster, I bought it specifically for a job (had to lift exposed tongue and groove floorboards) and have never been without it since. It's saved me ££££ in time and trouble. I've recently been buying shark blades from ebay which seem pretty good and stacks cheaper than the fein ones

SB

I use a jig saw. I do it very carefully and it normally takes a few minutes maximum per cut, i've been cutting boards like that for years now.

Good - 4 people to ask...

I wouldn't be without my Bosch Multi-tool.
Am with Detlef, defo the multitool.
I have a Bosch blue range 10.8v li-lon muititool and they are excellent, it come with 2 batteries. A full charged battery is enough for 8 cuts across floorboard. It take 15 minutes to recharge.
I've got the Blue Bosch GOP multi tool, wouldn't be without it now...you can get 'shark blades' on ebay that work and last very well for about £4 a blade :D :D
Anybody else used Shark blades?

Just bought a GOP - it won't be getting heavy use, so I don't mind if the blades don't last as long, just so long as they aren't rubbish.

Anybody used Faithfull? Supercut? Draper? WSE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back