floppy gear lever

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have a 407 02reg diesel and the gear lever is very sloppy and hard to get into reverse and 2nd gear i have had a look and it seems to be a sealed unit the play seems to be in the gear lever box itself or can it be stripped and repaired any help please regards bazz

Sponsored Links
Sorry I was confusing it with a 406 - it will have a twin cable system.
Adjustment on these is absolutely critical to avoid future gearbox problems, but the cable ends and swivels will wear, sure enough.
Wear inside the gearbox is unlikely - consider a new set of cables, but I've no idea how much they cost!
John :)

thanks John the trouble seems to be in the gear shift end the play in the leaver does not move the cables at the gearbox thanks for you most welcome reply bazz

Sponsored Links
Had this trouble with my 406, wouldn't always go into reverse, problem was on the gear lever end of the cable, the ferrule had come loose so the whole cable was being pushed away from the gearbox instead of the centre moving, fixed it with the judicious use of a pair of molegrips, just squashed the ferrule on to the cable - that was three years ago and its still OK.

Peter

Back