Flue condensate eroding concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked at a property recently where a boiler flue (not combi) was exiting a wall above a concrete canopy - which was about 75mm thick

Directly below the outlet, the concrete canopy had a chunk missing. The missing bit looked like it has been hit and chipped off, but the edges of the concrete are not clean like a chip, but more smooth like erosion.

The flue pipe does not seem that old, maybe a year or two, so I wondered what were the chances of the cause being due to the acidic flue gasses condensing and dripping on to the concrete below?

Sponsored Links
If its a condensing boiler the flue should be falling back to the boiler so any condensation goes back into the boiler and out through the condense pipe to a drain.

Standard efficiency boilers would have the flue slightly downwards to the outside, so any 'condesate' would run out a possiby causewhat you have seen.

Officially it would not be classed as condensate as it is probably not a modern condensing boiler.

It is very common to drive around and see many properties with staining all down the wall from older boilers due to this.

If its a condensing boiler the flue should be falling back to the boiler so any condensation goes back into the boiler and out through the condense pipe to a drain.

That's the theory!. The design of some of these flues mean you will get a drip off it even when fitted to the letter of the MI's, I've had some where I had to put it at such an angle it looked bleedin awfu, so the choice was fit it right & put up with it dripping or fit it so it looked like a dogs dinner.

Sponsored Links
OP yes it can cause failure of concrete even the plumage. haven't seen any above like you describe but have come across 3 or 4 where the ground below is damaged.

dripping end of flue can sometimes be cured by tweeking the lip a MM or 2 along the lower half to for a very tiny lip. Ideal icos/isar/evo's are prone to this problem

Sometimes there is a small moulding lip which needs to be filed away to let the condensate to run back.

Alternatively its sometimes necessary to put a couple of mm of sealant to form a ridge at the end.

Tony

It could also be helped along by rainwater dripping off the flue terminal, with the drips always landing on the same spot.

Once there's a little bit of a depression holding a few drops of water, a few good frosts would help the erosion process along further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back