Flueless Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a really good deal on a flueless gas fire recently and I've called a couple of gas fitters to come and fit it for me. They won't touch it for some reason ? When I've asked them why not they seem very sketchy on the reasons why !!! I assume they're afraid of putting their names to something which they don't understand. I understand how they work via a catalytic converter but wondered if anyone could give me a concrete reason for people being so wary of fluless gas fires ?

Sponsored Links
there has been a few fatalities and they require an air vent which defeats the purpose.

I wouldn't touch em with a bargepole!

Btw a car has a catalytic converter but would you want the fumes from that in your living room?

Slightly different fuel mind, but I get your point !!!! It's a pity really because they are more fuel efficient but there's always that nagging doubt about the catalytic converter failing. Then again, I've heard of plenty of fatalities from conventional gas fires but people still fit them don't they ?

You'll need a minimum free area of 100cm2 permanent ventilation (possibly more depending on MI's) so it kind of defeats the purpose of a space heater, plus they can cause all sorts of problems like condensation, only really any good for decorative purposes, I really don't see many positives to flueless fires.

On the safety side however, they are indeed safer than many open flued fires which never get serviced. They are popular in America i believe, and there are a lot less deaths over there from flueless fires than there are here from open flued fires.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you'll find someone that don't care if you kill yourself and family, provided he can feed his horse.

An accident waiting to happen, chuck it in the skip.

but thats generally down to poor installation/maintenance, and i doubt its more fuel efficient wen ya take into consideration the hole in the wall for ventilation..
bg wont even take them on a service contract and they take practically owt on! have ya got a chimney or even a wall direct to outside where you could fit a new open/balanced flue fire?

I would never fit or service one even if you offered me £100,000 :rolleyes:

Take it back and get your money back on this death trap ;)

Plus you need a FGA to install and commission one.

Plus someone only wants to pay you 50quid to install it

Plus as someonelse has pointed out they need at least 100cm2 of ventilation

Plus why the f*ck are places like B&Q allowed to sell these

But on the plus side, they have to pass stringent tests before they are allowed to be sold. I.e, they have to be able to operate safely without the cat converter working and with the vent blocked ....... but if you want to prove that wrong ;)

They work fine as long as they are fitted strictly to the MI and that they are serviced on the dot..... Problem is most folk only have their fires serviced when they give problems....... I'd ban all gas fires tomorrow.

Many gas fires at their highest setting consume as much as a modern central heating boiler once the initial warm up has taken place

a flueless fire with a catalytic converter, a oxygen checking pilot and the correct ventilation still managed to kill. a flue is the last line of defence when all over safety device have failed. remember it only takes 600 parts per million of carbon monoxide in the air to do you real harm and kill

plus do you really want to breath in POC and the fishy smell that comes with it?

why oh why are people unable to comprehend the simple fact that these fires KILL even when fitted correctly.
the Cwmbran death is a good reason why so many of us will not fit them for any money.
the manufacturers get away with murder whilst the installer goes to prison even though it is a manufacturing fault that has made the fire dangerous.
there is a certain fire manufacturer not far from me that employs immegrant workers who don't speak english to put fires together ready for sale at B&Q there is very little supervision of these people and all the english get made to feel unwelcome if they try to work there.
most engineers in this area will not fit any fire made by this company. wonder why?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back