Flueless gas fires.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went to service one the other day. I have come accross 3 or 4 and fit a couple before.

The thing i want to find out is there a standard limit of CO that is allowed to pass the converter. I was getting readings of 3 - 4ppm CO. I would consider that as very low but what is the limit.

There was a 100cm vent in the wall.

Sponsored Links
Following the tragic CO fatality with one of these, there was a review of the desirable positioning of the ventilation as there was a suggestion the proximity of the vent prevented the Oxygen Depletion Device from functioning. There is a recent Corgi update somewhere, but as i have nothing to do with flueless fires I'm not totally up to date.

As regards CO, a quick call to manufacturers technical line might be in order.

Alfredo

the life of the catalytic converter is only 8 months if used continuosly just about the lenght of our winters or you could leave it and not use it,take your choice.

it amazes me that they are legal!

If it was a open flued gas fire which most are and it was spilling only a small percentage of its fumes (CO2 or CO) it is ID. yet a flueless spills 100% of it's fumes into the room and it is classed as safe (proving there is a 100cm2 vent)

I can't see the justice in these fires.

Sponsored Links
Alfredo said:
Following the tragic CO fatality with one of these, there was a review of the desirable positioning of the ventilation as there was a suggestion the proximity of the vent prevented the Oxygen Depletion Device from functioning.

From what I remember, the Vent was positioned in such a way that when the fire pulled air from the vent it was pulling 'clean' air directly over the ASD from the vent. This meant that even though the air within the room was infact becoming vitiated, the ASD failed to sense this due to the 'clean' air flowing over it!

I seem to recall that the appliance in question was infact 'Over Gassed' (it left the factory in that setting!) and I think the fitter had failed to Gas Rate the appliance and it started coking-up due to the over gassing which led to the Cat becoming blocked and allowing CO to spill.

Blasphemous said:
From what I remember, the Vent was positioned in such a way that when the fire pulled air from the vent it was pulling 'clean' air directly over the ASD from the vent. This meant that even though the air within the room was infact becoming vitiated, the ASD failed to sense this due to the 'clean' air flowing over it!
The tests carried out on the flueless fire installation immediately after the incident showed that Oxygen levels in the room remained high (so no vitiation) yet very high levels of CO were produced due to the sooting up of the appliance. As B said, that was due to a factory set and sealed burner pressure three times what it should have been, doubling the gas rate.

obviously you want the level of CO in the room to be a small as possible. The flueless gas fires allow 5 -9ppm max CO in Air. Some manufacturers may be different. with flueless appliances as a whole if you ever get 25 - 30ppm then that is LETHAL.

The flueless gas fires use a catalytic converter which holds oxygen and changes the dangerous CO into CO2. so what you should be getting from a flueless gas fire is co2 and water vapour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back