FLUELESS PLASMA GAS FIRE THE PROS AND CONS ARE THEY SAFE ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating getting a flueless gas fire, mainly because of the cost and styles. I find all the gas fires I like the best are always the flueless. I have read good and bad points on these, has anyone had one? What are the real pros and cons. I do have an ordinary chimney for class 1 or 2 flue so I know this wouldnt be a problem but the corgi registered man I asked to fit said he wouldnt touch them with a barge pole and we have to get someone else to fit if this is what we get. Why???

All comments appreciated. Thanks :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to sound negative, but I wouldn't fit one of these for a customer if I was paid £5000 to do it.

They are a time bomb waiting to go off.

i'm afraid you will struggle to find a competant engineer who will fit one as previous posts say look on argi and also check out the court case in Cwmbran last year where a young lady died as a result of one!

FIT AT YOU OWN RISK OF DEATH it's your choice.

Sponsored Links
it is not if it fails, it is when it fails.
you have no flue to take the products of combustion(poc) outside so when it goes wrong and is spewing a high level of CO in the poc it is floating about in your room. the safety devices have been seen to fail as in the case in i Cwmbran.

Nope, not in a million years.

I just did my ACS re-assessment and was told that a new element covering these is imminent - there's one I won't be taking then.

Flueless gas fires require correct fitting and depend on as follows

1 correct pipe sizing
2 Room Size
3 Ventilation
4 Gas rating checks
5 Gas Analysing checks
6 regular servicing

What people need to remember there has been flueless gas fires around for years with greater input than most found today for example the super ser propane gas mobile heater with no ventilation checks that could be just bought and put in place.

Well I'd fit one, but I'd insist on a CO detector of an appropriate type fitted in the right place. I lived in a flat over a very cold winter where the only heating was LPG portable heaters.

Well I don't know whether they are dangerous or not but we bought one of these and it looks pretty good. Might fit a CO detector after reading this thread.....

Well I don't know whether they are dangerous or not but we bought one of these and it looks pretty good. Might fit a CO detector after reading this thread.....

Trust us patrick they are dangerous, maybe not this week but in the future.

The have a limited use and life span, e.g. 7000hrs use or 10 years, are you keeping a record :eek:

That means just as the kids are about to start big school they might not make it.

We've had a flueless gas fire for 5 years, at the first service it was condemned -- by the company who fit it!!!

Since then I have had it serviced every year and the emissions are fine. We have a flue which is blocked with
original builders debris, and a chimney is not an option as the house is a semi, and this is the joining wall.
Typical 1970's house with HUGE windows on the only outside wall, so no alternative, if we wanted to stay
with a gas fire and didn't want to change to electric.

We ALWAYS open a top light in the lounge when we use the fire, there is a vent in the wall in the dining room,
which is through an open archway, so there is a through "draught" which our Corgi engineer advised. The fire
gives off enough heat to make the lounge comfortable, with the additional background warmth of the radiators
on winter days.

With hindsight, and all the information which is readily available now - and wasn't when we chose our fire -
I don't think we will renew like for like when the time comes. And I wouldn't dream of using the fire without
the ventilation we have in place, and of course the detector which is regularly checked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back