fluing through an old chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me on a corgi question, i've been asked to remove an old floor standing boiler, think its a mexico. At the moment the flue comes out the top and immediatly bends into a chimney. Is it ok to just drill a core through the chimney and fit a modern fan flue through it? I assume you just treat it like a cavity wall but i just wanted to check, cant find anything in the literature. Also should i 'decommision' the chimney somehow? Any thoughts on what you would do would be greatly appreciated and very helpful, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just leave a vent in the chimney to stop damp. You can core throughh teh back wall with no problems btu remember you must have enough height (or a pump) for the condensate.

We have a flue system that means you can use the chimney as a balanced flue or a powered flue. But it won't work with mainstream boilers - it would be too imaginative for them ;).

I think that he wants to core through side on and not just go through the back. was3304 states he wants to treat the chimney like a cavity wall

I'm not sure if it is allowed. Don't the regs state that a flue must be able to be examined throughout its whole length.

I'd agree you need to be able to inspect joints but 'whole length' would mean that you couldn't put a flue through a wall!

Is your point that the OP wanted to put an elbow in the void of the chimney and you couldn't inspect that? Didn't get that from the OP....

Anyway, at some point common sense has to prevail. If the chimney is vent-capped at the top and ventilated at the bottom, it's not very likely to have any problems from a flue going through it.

Sponsored Links
No joints are allowable in the flue where it passes through the existing flue/chimney.

WHy not, Dave? I mean can you remember where it says?

Many a telescopic flue join, if that counts as a join, ends up in a cavity.

One bijou snagette to watch for as you're coring theough an old chimney, is an old flue lliner, with a steel wire in just waiting to rip a segment of diamond off your core drill.

Had a job recently when this came up and called our gods at Basingstoke for advice. I was informed that this was not allowed. I don't really see why because if it leaked the fumes would only go up existing flue as long as it was sealed to room. :confused:

Tomorrow we are taking out a CF130 somethnig or other and installting a 40KW Input room sealed boiler with a flexible liner going up the flue. We havn't yet decided whether or not to turn the chinmey into a balanced flue or leave it as an open flue and draw air in through a stump on the air inlet to the boiler...

All under the auspices of the Manufacturer so should be interesting.

Just looked through Essential Gas Safety - Flueing Standards and Flue Testing.

For concentric flues and flues (eg. plastic pipes) for condensing boilers, I could find no reference to joints inside chimneys, or indeed any reference to procedures to be followed to instal or inspect flues inside chimneys.

Maybe I missed something......

As ChrisR said, a telescopic joint might well occur in a wall cavity, where leakage of combustion products might conceivably result in those products finding their way into the dwelling. Why should a horizontal flue through a chimney with a telescopic joint in the old flue be considered any greater risk?

In any case, the 100mm outer air duct might just slide through a 110mm soil pipe (which has a bore of 100mm), thus providing a sealed duct through the flue or other void. I frequently put my flues through 110mm ducts in solid walls to facilitate removal and replacement with future boiler changes.

Obviously one would have to be sure that the chimney flue affected could not be brought back into use. This would be unlikely if the fire place served was in the same room as the boiler, but if the fire place served was on a lower floor I think the fireplace opening might need to be well sealed with clear warning plates built in so that anyone attempting to open it up would be in no doubt that the flue was unusable.

In the case of separate flats with flues into a common chimney stack I can see that nothing should be done that might compromise the integrity of flues serving other flats and a blanket ban on interference with any part of the chimney stack would make more sense in such a situation.

We too have made this enquiry in the past to Corgi - and their view has been a definite 'no'.

However, like Dan we fit boilers in old flues using fan flue equipment and even sections of interlocking flue, but this is only where the practice is specifically underwritten by the manufacturer.

Which most mainstream concentric flue boilers are not. My response to the original question would be don't do it unless the manufacturer specifically approves it in writing.

simond said:
We too have made this enquiry in the past to Corgi - and their view has been a definite 'no'.

Corgi are entitled to their view, but we are entitled to an explanation of the basis for that view. It doesn't sound as if they've given that.

chrishutt said:
simond said:

Corgi are entitled to their view, but we are entitled to an explanation of the basis for that view. It doesn't sound as if they've given that.

They certainly didn't explain the reasoning to me :rolleyes:

Well ive done this before and just as the OP said i just classed it as a cavity wall (made sure there was no fire being used first) ;) Cant see any problems.

simond said:

ok then explain how Halstead make a twin wall flue liner for their condensing boiler range

Don't Trust anything £££££ORGI says they only want your money. money grabbing T***sers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back