fluorescent light fixture fuse missing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

The house i bought has a twin fluorescent 6ft fitting in the garage but never worked, so today i bought a tube for it and still no go. I thought it might be the starter/ballast... but for my life i could not find where the starter would be.

I then read this might be a one of those electronic ballast fixture... so i noticed a small space where something was missing, at first i thought this might take a small kind of starter but after opening the cover it said a 3amps on it, which led me to believe the fuse is missing.

It has a complete different fitting and i am not sure where i can source it from. I managed to find an image of it on a document which i believe is what i need.

I believe i need what is illustrated as number 279.
Can anyone help :(

Sponsored Links
So there's a panel-mount fuseholder which looks like the one in that drawing, and it should have a 3A fuse in it but doesn't?

There are so many physical sizes for fuses, that without being sure, (e.g. from dimensions somewhere on the fuseholder), you could go through a lot of trial and error to find the right one.

And then there's the question of the characteristics of the fuse - normal, slow-blow etc.

If you really want to get this on working then see if you can find out from the makers what sort of fuse you need.

Or do as holmslaw suggests, or buy a new ballast for it.

Not being funny, but have you checked that there is power at the switch and the fitting?

Sponsored Links
Them fuseholders were quite commmon in older fittings, its possible theres no starters due to the fittting having old ballasts requiring no starters rather than, an electronic ballast, if so it would most likely require older 75/85 fat tubes, if so it would be cheaper to update to a new fitting.
It could also have electronic square shaped starters within the unit.

If youve lost the centre of the fuseholder then you may struggle to find one to fit, some were standard size fuses but newer fittings were 20mm long fuses.

Is there a wattage 75/85w stamped on the balllast within the fitting, rather than on the tube.
If so and no starters then you will need fat tubes,they are likely to be dearer than a new complete twin 70 watt fitting.

If so and no starters then you will need fat tubes,they are likely to be dearer than a new complete twin 70 watt fitting.
The T12 tubes won't be available for much longer anyway, so if the fitting doesn't work with the T8 tubes it will need to be replaced.

Yup, those fittings that have a fuseholder where you normally find a starter are pretty ancient, so do yourself a flavour and buy a new one.

thanks guys just bought a new one and up and running now. This did seem to be one of those ancient ones and might have been there for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back