Flush-mount LED luminaires that fit a 1G metal box

Still researching this.

Found an MK euro module plate that is 6 mods. K185 WHI. Scolmore don't seem to do one.

Then I can have the euro LED (2 mods) the 2 switches (2 mods) and a couple of USB's (2 mods).

Funny thing is, MK don't list a metal box for it. Just a pattress or drylining.

But I guess K863 is the right one.

And I guess as a few manufacturers do Euro accessories, their modules and plates will be interchangeable?

I'd quite like a BG Nexus USB module as they do a 2 module USB with 2 sockets, rather than Scolmore who have single mods, so there would be a join.

Scolmore seem to have the only LED module suited to a 35mm box, rather than 47.

So that would be an MK plate, BG USB mod and Scolmore LED mod & switches...

All the components would be white, but I guess the danger with mixing mods would be different colours and finishes?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I reckon the whites would look different. I have an MK grid plate with 2 MK switches and a Varilight dimmer. The dimmer white is noticeably duller than the MK...

Hmm... I deally I'd buy all the same brand, but AFAICT, MK are the only company to make a 6 module plate, so I have to mix.

Well, I don't HAVE to... I could fit a double and a single box side by side, but to my mind (and eye!) that would look a bit tatty when I could fit one box for all the modules.

MK don't make switches in euro mods and their USB sockets (apart from being £££) don't have a 2A output.

Don't know any local wholesalers who stock any of the kit, otherwise I could go and have a butcher's.

Been thinking about this for a while.

I'd like, if I may, to pick your collective brains about the best thing to do re. the lighting in the bedroom.

I will post a plan of the room shortly. The room is a 1970 extension over a garage with a flat roof.
The original lighting wiring is wired in singles, with the neutral coming in at the bedroom rose and out to the ensuite and LED downlighter near the door.

The light switch is by the door, but has been extended from its original position over the worktop near the door to a position closer to the door. This old switch position has to be eliminated, so I am hoping I can trace where the supply comes into the room by following the cables out of this old switch box. Then they will be rerouted to the new position, if necessary via a junction box (1G box with BP).

From the JB and switch box will come all new cabling and cables replacing existing ones to existing fittings.

Currently, the switch by the door is a three gang, operating the pendant over the bed, the LED downlight by the door and the two way with the corridor leading to the bedroom.

I need to add switches by the bed for the pendant over the bed, so we can both switch the main light off without having to leap out of bed. I also want something to read by and some form of very low level "night light" that is switchable from either side of the bed and the door position so I can get up in the night.

Currently, I have a 10W SELV uplighter on top of the wardrobe operated from a wireless switch over the bedhead. But I am considering a very dim LED strip attached near floor level under the wardrobe doors to show me the way to the ensuite.

I was considering the LED modules for reading by, but not sure if they will suffice.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
SCAN0083.JPG

I have some low-wattage led tape attached to the bottom of my bed either side, it's just wired to an architrave switch on my bedside table and on a plug (top :rolleyes:o_O). Works perfectly for getting up in the night and for even for some ambient light when watching tv etc.

Depends how bright the modulars are as to whether you can read by them or nor. What about two tiny LED downlights for reading? I'd probably look at an adjustable 1w version - like those tiny emergency lights but without the lovely green LED when they're powered!

Thank you.

I don't know how Elwood (cat) managed to gatecrash the thread...

Can't find how many lumens the Click LED euromodule is, but it is 1W.

Don't fancy downlighters but could be swayed.

How many watts/ lumens is the strip you are using?

Last edited:
How many watts/ lumens is the strip you are using?
Not sure on lumens, but they're 4.5w/m and I have about 2m on each side of the bed.

You could get away with less length or a lower wattage as I often don't feel the need to turn my pendant on they give out enough light.

He's very gorgeous.

Thank you, that's very kind. Unfortunately he is no longer with us, but he was a cat in a million, with a really friendly personality. We inherited him and another cat (who died recently) after their owners emigrated to Canada.

You could get away with less length or a lower wattage as I often don't feel the need to turn my pendant on they give out enough light.

Mmm, I would only need a very faint light, enough to see my way without falling or crashing into furniture; my condition makes me quite clumsy.

I shall search for a lesser wattage per metre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back