Flush-mount LED luminaires that fit a 1G metal box

OK. I think I have decided not to mix manufacturers more than I absolutely have to.

I want the Click LED euro mod luminaire, whose lens does not appear to match the colour of the Click modules anyway, so the fact it will not match BG's is no biggies.

But the rest of the kit (face plate, switch modules and USB mods) I would like BG.

The thing is, to get the LED, the three switches and a 2 mod USB in there would need 7 modules of width.

So, I have a choice.

BG only make a "4 up 4 down" special plate with 2 x 2G 47mm mounted thereupon and they are eye-wateringly expensive:

https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk...ang+47mm+Metal+Boxes+on+Back+Plate/1627224518

Click make a straight 8 module box, but the plate would need a yoke and the plate would have to be metal: the plates are around £15.00...

https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/new-media-8-module-47mm-deep-back-box-mp520.html

The other option is 2 x standard 2G mounted together, with 2 x 4 module plates side by side.

Which do you think would look the best?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much.

I looked at SF, but because I used BG's code and not theirs, it did not come up with anything.

It seems a lot to sink in the wall for just a few light switches, the LED mods and the USB mod.

I'm sure they will fit into a 35mm box.

I have two choices:

Fit that stacked BG box, with a suitable plate, with three switches, the 2 mod LED and the BG 2 mod USB........

or..........

Stick with the MK 6 mod plate and use the three switches, 2 mod LED and Click 1 module USB instead......

I am swayed towards the stacked box, as I can have the 2 gang USB I fancy plus everything (apart from the LED module) will be the same brand so will presumably match.

On the minus side, the box (x 2) is huge.

The other option is easier and neater, but the plate will be MK, the switches BG and the USB Scolmore. Bit of a mash-up if the plastic colours grate...

What would you do?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to go for the BG box and just not worry about the chopping out.

On the other hand, I don't think mixing euro mods is all that much of an issue, the only problem will be different shades of white (potentially) so the MK route might not look as bad as you think.

If you do go down the BG route, make sure you get two half blanks and not a full blank!

Yes, thanks! I want the LED and USB on the bottom and the 3 switch modules on top. To get them central would obviously involve a half width blank either side.

I managed to find all the bits on Screwfix, including half and full size blanks, but it is very difficult to find them.

On SF's website, some of BG's euro modular stuff appears under the brand LAP, but when you look at the information for the product, it gives the BG part number in the listing.

However, a search for the BG part number brings up nothing.

It took a while to find the BG/ LAP switch modules on SF's site.

The other weird thing is that electrical counter sells the switch modules cheaper than SF, even when delivery is added, whereas, as you pointed out, the box for it was well-overpriced.

The switch mods at screwfix are 1.99 for 2W and 2.99 for Int; at EC they are 1.40 and 1.79.

I am torn as to what to do: I'm worried the stacked box arrangement looks a bit too "commercial"...

I would go for Scolmore's 8 module box as everything is on the same level but I can't find a white plate to go with it.

Thank you very much for your help, advice and opinions. I shall go away and procrastinate...:unsure:

I think the twin stack BG will look better than the Click 8 way.

A personal opinion - BG's build quality is much better than Click in terms of accessories. Click's lighting is ok but their switches etc have a distinctly cheaper feel than the equivalent BG.

If I was you I would just buy all you can from screwfix, then if you don't like how it looks when you build test build it up, just take it all back - easier than if you buy from the web

Cheers! I will do that.

I did find a Click Polar White 8 mod plate, but it is painted stainless & I'm not keen...

Sorry to arrive late at the party... But I remembered your post so had a look in my travelodge room this evening. If you're interested, the bedside light is made by Collingwood. It is just mounted directly into the headboard, SELV with a 12V power supply.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Catalogue here....

https://issuu.com/collingwoodlighting/docs/collingwoodlighting_uk_ed20/1?ff=true&e=0/35887012

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back