Flush-mount LED luminaires that fit a 1G metal box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of making an oak headboard in a bedroom makeover with bedside lights like the ones in this Travelodge room:

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/about-us/great-value/our-rooms

These lights are not intended for serious reading, just a quick nip to the loo or see the kids.

I don't want anything that protrudes, I'm a clumsy forkr.

There will also be a light switch for the main light next to the bed.

I've had a good look but can't find any like it.

Does anyone know of any?

Cheers, guys.

Sponsored Links
Great! Thanks, Igg. That's no problem. I was thinking it may be thus.

I'll look it up now.

Can't find white one! Not a problem if I could find a 3 gang socket in a similar style, but I can only find white!
Making problems for myself now...:)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Actually, the two gang might be better IF I can fit 2 x modular switches in there, one for the main light and one for the LED?

I know it's designed for media, though, so the answer is probably no.

EDIT: re-read your post and I see the plates fit Mode.

I am thinking of making this a "plug-in" headboard, for ease of dismantling when the time comes, with two Klick sockets (S65AX) mounted side by side in standard 1 gang boxes in the wall.

One would be connected via 3 core and earth to the wall switch by the door for the main light, as a two way. The other would connect to the ceiling rose for a feed to the LED mods.

This way, I can fit the flush box assemblies to the wooden headboard and wire them up using flex and compression glands, with a P64AX on the other end of the flexes, one connecting to each socket.

Thus, when dismantling time arrives, it will simply be a case of unplug and go.

Can anyone see a reason why I can't do this?

The Klick accessories are rated a 6A, but the breaker on that circuit is 10. However, there is no intention to use it as a loop terminal carrying FLC, and the loads on them will be less than 0.1A.

Are those Klick sockets shuttered when plugs are removed?

Did wonder. So they're not really safe to use as a "wall outlet" then.

Hmm. The regs say the Klick- type LSC's are only designed for luminaires to be attached to them.

There are two British Standards that can be used to connect lighting other than luminaires:

60399 (plugs, socket outlets and couplers for industrial use) and 5733 (spec for general requirements for electrical accessories).

60399 is too bulky and 5733 is a Klick 7 pin connector similar in design to the 4 pin LSC.

The 7 pin system is actually designed for pre-wired leads to be attached to switches.

One would be connected via 3 core and earth to the wall switch by the door for the main light, as a two way.
Thus, when dismantling time arrives, it will simply be a case of unplug and go.
Can anyone see a reason why I can't do this?

You will be disconnecting your two-way switch which will break the circuit. You'd need a replacement shorting plug to replace the switch. Given that, you might as well use something like a CH wiring centre on the wall, and one on the headboard (as they usually have lots of terminals, and flex grips) and link them with a multicore flex. You could also put a 3A FCU at the wall end, which would allow you to use the power circuit for your LED modules and also have a 13A* socket with USB charger on the bedhead (*max load 3A, not for hairdryers)

Understood. I realised that when leaving, the switch will need to be returned to 1 way use again.

Because the switches for the lighting on the headboard share a mounting box with the LED lights, I wanted the LED lights on the same circuit.

I did think about mounting the sockets on the headboard above the bedside cabinets at the same height as the switches/ LED luminaire, but not sure I can live with them on show. The USB leads are generally quite short, so may not stretch if the socket is lower down, so it is a bit of a dilemma.

Think the best thing to do is put the sockets at low level and buy a longer USB lead for charging.

Just had a brain wave re the 2 way switch. If I fit a recessed box on one side of the bed, in line with the switch position on the headboard, with the three core and earth coming out of it, I can leave it longer to reach the mounting box in the headboard. Then, when the headboard goes, the two way switch can be reinstated and attached to the box recessed in the wall. Ditto with the live feed for the LED luminaires. That can be terminated in the switch box when the headboard is removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back