Flush wall mounted gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a flush gas meter box fitted in the new wall I'm having built for our garage conversion. Unfortunately there is an aco drain right across the front which needs to stay. I expect the gas inlet pipe cannot go up through the cavity and in to the box? So, what is the usual solution to this?

I expect it would look a little odd if the pipe comes up in front of the aco (about 5-6 inches away from the wall). Not only that, there is a risk it could be knocked or damaged.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The gas pipe will have priority with the aco either being dog-leg diverted around the 'hockey stick' or re-setting the whole aco run 50mm away from the building.

Hmm, hockey stick?

I canny remember whether this referred to the gas pipe upstand or the electric one...?

Forgive me if i have my terminology wrong but hockey stick refers to the bit of conduit that runs vertically up the wall into a meter box.

Sponsored Links
That's the electric conduit round my way

Always thought you had hurling sticks round your way.
Gas boxes, be they face fixed or recessed, the supply pipe always comes up on the face of external wall. Sometimes a PVC bend is fitted below ground level with a GRP sleeve fitted between bend and bottom of meter box. If service pipe is run through flexible duct then no bend used.
Atco drain, do as noseall has said dog leg round pipe with 4 no 90 degree bends.
oldun

also,

not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but make sure you do not drill/screw the built in gas metre box to the wall.

they can refuse to fit to gas to the box if so, use mastik or expanding fosm to fix

Thanks for the tips fellas. I can't believe natgrid didn't advise me of this solution. They were all set to rip up half my driveway and move the meter 5m around the corner!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back