fly leads from sockets to back boxes,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if anyone can shed some light.

Is an earth fly necessary from the front of the socket to the backbox. One mate who was sparky said it was, the other said it wasnt.

any other offers?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This could be me and my son. He does not fit them as he feels the brass screws do that job and to fit extra wires into the earth connection on the socket could cause an earth to come out. And this could also mean the loss of earth on the next outlet.

I do fit the link wire as I feel you can't rely on the screws and I also use one sleeve for both earth wires so if they come out likely they will still be connected together.

He says putting both earths together causes extra strain when they are removed to do the 10 year or change of occupant PIR.

I say to remove the socket is only required at one point to confirm ring main and you should use the ELI meter to check each socket only as removing sockets is likely to introduce as many faults as it finds.

From this I hope you realise there is no cut and dried answer. We both have our C&G 2391 and we have never agreed on these points.

If there is a FIXED lug on the back box then a fly lead is not required.
Its in the regs, somewhere. I'll look if i ever get a spare minute.

Many sparks consider it good practise to install one in any case. This means the back box is earthed even if you were to install nylon screws.

TWISTING earth wires together is a no-no, but sleeving both in one sleeving is fine..

2 under a screw is better than 3, it's just geometry, 4 is as good as 2, so bend the end of the flylead double...

flyleads are not necesary ( unless the earth is provided by the conduit or cable sheath as in MICC etc 543.2.7 ) , but are considered as good practice by many sparkies and definitely by certain organisations such as NICEIC etc..

Sponsored Links
Bit of a poor statement from elecsa imo.
Metal clad back boxes have two metal lugs but still require to be earthed.
Plastic light switches still require the back box to be earthed.

I like to see the link fitted then there's no doubt.

So elecsa are now encouraging their members to become lazy rough arses. Great :rolleyes:

I was always taught that two earths in one sleeving was a big no no.

If one of the earths is not properly gripped under the terminal screw, it will go un-noticed when you do you test tug on the wires.

If they are sleeved seperatly, you chan check both wires independantly.

TWISTING earth wires together is a no-no

How so? I would always twist earth wires together tightly and fit in one sleeve. This reduces the risk of one coming out of the screw terminal, which I've had happen before. Exactly the same as twisting the lives and neutrals tightly to prevent them separating.

Colin C

Well it seems like i have opened 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Cheers for the info and the cutout from elecsa.

Cheers A..

but that's the point, you can't sperate them at the periodic inspection to test the ring..

it also stresses the copper un-necesarily making it more prone to breaks..

How so? I would always twist earth wires together tightly and fit in one sleeve. This reduces the risk of one coming out of the screw terminal, which I've had happen before. Exactly the same as twisting the lives and neutrals tightly to prevent them separating.

Colin C

puke.gif

The thought of twisting any of the wires together makes me sick

Colin C

It may in your eyes reduce the risk of one coming out of the terminal, however, it does stress the copper & you can get stress fractures which would go unnoticed if the two are twisted together, then you would have (on a RF circuit for example) no ring continuity.

It was common practice when imperial cable was current, but it is not good practice now.

Ah OK thanks for that.

So how should I put them all in one terminal. I know that if I only have one wire going in I should fold it over to give the screw better grip. Do I just leave them all straight and together? Seems like a simple question now I think about it, but it's the simple things that make a good job.

Colin C

Fold over tightly, and insert both into the terminal. Usually the grub screw is wide enough to clamp both wires whether or not they are sitting side by side or on top of each other, but check to be sure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back