''flying earth''

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a few back boxes to earth and want to learn a better and more efficient technique than what I do currently which is a bit bodgy, obviously I'm not a sparky as some of you already know.

Any tips to share on this ?

Sponsored Links
If the face plate is metal, that is what must be earthed.

A separate 'flying earth' from the face plate to back box is optional (but a good idea) because you cant touch it when the circuit is live.

Does it look alright?

IMG_0923.JPG

Seem to have balsed up one of the inserts for the screws, must have pushed too hard and now the screw won't thread into it.. ?

Sponsored Links
Looks fine.

Have you got both the cable CPCs (earth wires) in the G/Y sleeve? Just can't see it.

Yes both sleeved, popping out now to get more sleeve. Toolstation do some but which do I get, 3mm, 4mm or 6mm ?

I'm going to pick up a re-threading tool for the insert I've balsed up.

it would be interesting to look at the back of the socket, and the terminals, when you take it off, to see what's happened.

you probably know that the wires have been cut a bit short. If you fit a longer pigtail, it will be easier to handle.

When I do second fixing I use drum of earth cable and strip it rather than use a solid strand and sleeving - saves lots of time when you're doing lots of accessories

it would be interesting to look at the back of the socket, and the terminals, when you take it off, to see what's happened.

you probably know that the wires have been cut a bit short. If you fit a longer pigtail, it will be easier to handle.
I think they're short like that as the back box isn't very deep.

35mms they all are. Didn't see a real need to go deeper, more mess and more agro.

These brass face plates are fiddly. I managed to rethreadthe screw insert using the tool but then only the normal silver electrical screws worked and not the brass looking ones. It's hardly noticeable but annoying still. There is something to say for good technique, I guess that comes with practice.

35mms they all are. Didn't see a real need to go deeper, more mess and more agro.

These brass face plates are fiddly. I managed to rethreadthe screw insert using the tool but then only the normal silver electrical screws worked and not the brass looking ones. It's hardly noticeable but annoying still. There is something to say for good technique, I guess that comes with practice.

That is NOT a 35mm deep box in the picture.

Bad practice to put two or more bare earth wires in one sleeve.

It's not easy to confirm if every earth wire is definitely secure, and also it makes fault finding/testing more awkward.

Wires do look a bit on the short side, but still a worthy effort.

oh, you meant the lugs.

try with new screws. The screws are plated brass and quite soft, so the thread on the screws often goes before the thread on the steel lugs.

If you ever have a screw with a partially stripped thread, throw it far, far away to prevent re-use and future rage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back