Fog Lights Part CCCLVI!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over Xmas and NY have seen more front (and to a lesser extent, rear) fog lights than ever. Am now (where possible) asking, "Do you know you've got your fogs on?", when I'm in the van, or "If you can't see where you're going, put your headlights on" if I'm in the car.

The answer usually is a plain "Yes" to the first, and "But front fogs are so cool" to the 2nd. To which I usually reply, "No, they make you look like somebody who is trying desperately to look "cool" and failing miserably!"

Why is it that people try to be individuals by emulating the behaviour of many others?

EG Teenager wants to stand out from crowd by wearing the uniform worn by 000's of other young kids, driving a chav-mobile driven by 000's of other kids, sporting illuminated front fogs, like 000's of other kids.

I don't get it!

More to the point I don't care. But how do we stop this selfish behaviour?

Most know they'll get away with most driving misdemeanours that are not caught by speed traps or ANPR.

More traffic police in 2006, please!!

High BP rant over!!

Sponsored Links
fog light gatso's should solve it.

proably get more profit than from speeders.

securespark said:
Why is it that people try to be individuals by emulating the behaviour of many others?
The amount of time I use the fog lights, I have to pull over and remember how to put it on :oops: :LOL:

I have had an actual need to use foglights about twice in the last year. I remember when I was a kid my parents' cars seemed to have a rear foglight more as an afterthought... hanging from a bracket under the rear bumper. Front fogs? Just have someone sit on the bonnet and shout "Ahoy!" as you drive into the soup.
:LOL:

Now, what is the visibility threshold where it is recommended you should switch them on?

I've noticed it seems to happen more during the summertime than the winter time. Yet you don't see people driving their cars with snowchains in summer in order to look cool. :confused:

Sponsored Links
[url=http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/21.htm#201] Highway Code [/url] said:
94: You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
Law RVLR reg 27

201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
211: You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
Right or wrong agree or disagree.... them is the rules.
For RVLR click below : -
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

As an aside do I detect a change in wording ref. speed limits applying to vehicles? We found, previously, a problem with car derived vans ... Now over 2 tonne laden weight it is spelled out, single carriageway limit is 50 mph, not national limit of 60 MPH .. Look out potential 2tonne plus, white van man, I should not have you on my tail at 60 on a single carriageway... ;)

Seeing as the new Vauxhall Astra has a fully-laden weight of about 1900kg, I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of larger cars well over 2000kg fully-laden! :LOL:

If lots of emerging laws etc are to bring us in line with Europe .. Why is it when abroad I have seen the most appalling driving, poorly maintained heavy vehicles with parts falling off ... red lights being ignored .. etc, etc.
Something is niggling here, are several other countries signing up to legislation which they have no interest or real desire to properly implement? ...
:rolleyes:

Back