Nightmare Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A combination of poor preparation by the stores and selfish tuuattery by customers makes Christmas shopping extra stressful.

Went to Tesco yesterday. No shelf edge labels for many items so you don't know the price. Signage is awful, you can't find stuff. Queues at the checkout are huge because they have ripped most of the manned ones out and put in "UIITBA" checkouts instead.

M&S was even worse this morning.

Got up early to try and miss the crowds, but failed miserably.

Asked a lady who looked like she might be queuing but it wasn't obvious if she was in the queue and got told "What the F does it look like?"

I told her I didn't want to say what it looked like, as there had been enough unnecessary swearing already. She opened her mouth to say something and her sensible teenage daughter gave her a jab in the ribs, so she didn't reply.

Waitrose was far less busy (should have gone there in the first place; you pay a bit more but it's a far more peaceful experience) but they had completely sold out of mince pies apart from a few boxes of Heston's kumquat, rats tail and cheese mince pies.

Their self checkout was the worst I'd ever used.

They have a small metal tray on which you have to stack stuff after scanning which, if you have more than a few items, causes issues. Had to call the checkout lady over to rectify this then some stuff didn't scan properly....

I've never gone through a self checkout without needing input from a staff member and swore a while ago I'd never use one again, but the "normal" checkouts were so rammed, I decided to make an exception.

Added to the mix were selfish customers who blocked aisles with their trollies and a guy at Waitrose who decided to park in the roadway in front of our space so we couldn't get out. The roadway was narrow enough not to allow cars behind him to pass either. Mrs Secure got out, tapped on his window and asked him to move. He was not happy. Audi Q7 driver.

Just helping to confirm my theory that the majority of selfish or dangerous manoeuvres are by drivers of Audi, BMW or Mercedes, closely followed by Range Rover.

Sponsored Links
We have staff for that sort of thing.

They come in a van with the name of the shop on the side

No shelf edge labels for many items so you don't know the price.

Their self checkout was the worst I'd ever used.

They have a small metal tray on which you have to stack stuff after scanning which, if you have more than a few items, causes issues. Had to call the checkout lady over to rectify this then some stuff didn't scan properly....

I've never gone through a self checkout without needing input from a staff member and swore a while ago I'd never use one again, but the "normal" checkouts were so rammed, I decided to make an exception.
Scan and shop is the way forward. No price? Scan it, if you don’t like the price, put it back and delete it from the scanner. Once you have loaded your bags in your trolley, a quick blip on the till at the dedicated quick shop till and you just breeze through. Takes just 30 seconds.

Sponsored Links
We were against those self-scanners until recently. But now, most staff seem to just want to wander aimlessly around looking as though they are busy and have no time for customers.. A few weeks ago my wife asked one 'assistant' where the fresh pasts sheets were. Her reply, "Oh I've no idea. I didn't know there was such a thing." and simply walked away pointing her scanner and things and clicking them.
Now we are getting used to them it makes things so much quicker and easier. My only complaint is when they do a random check. My wifes reply was, "You trust me to scan everything I put in the trolley so trust me to put it through the checkout. If I was going to steal something it certainly wouldn't be a packet of burgers. Half a side of salmon maybe, but it certainly wouldn't go in my trolley either."
He slunk off back to the end of the tills.

Nobody in their right mind goes food shopping 2 days before Christmas!!???!

Click and collect done 2 days ago. Will grab a few fresh things from the local greengrocers later or tomorrow.

Must have said to half a dozen assistants this week, when 'invited' to use the self serve tills.
'No sorry, I don't work for XXX store thank you'.

Self-serve till will be the future and the days of the assistant-operated till are numbered -- I used to work on projects to install self-serve tills across hundreds of stores. However it was those projects and the resulting redundancies which put me off using them!

Added to the mix were selfish customers who blocked aisles with their trollies

That is what I find to be the most annoying part of supermarket shopping, the isles constantly obstructed by people's trolleys. They stop to investigate something on a shelf, and leave their trolleys sideways across the aisles. I make a point of parking a trolley when I need one, off to one side, wander up and down the isle, collecting what I need, then load it into the trolley - why the need to have the trolley constantly at arms length? It's as if they expect someone might 'steal' something from their trolley, or the trolley - which is a nonsense.

Just helping to confirm my theory that the majority of selfish or dangerous manoeuvres are by drivers of Audi, BMW or Mercedes, closely followed by Range Rover.

The most ridiculous generalisation I have ever heard in my life.

Teenagers, irrespective of what they drive cause more accidents than other age groups, followed closely by under 25's

The most ridiculous generalisation I have ever heard in my life.

Teenagers, irrespective of what they drive cause more accidents than other age groups, followed closely by under 25's

I'm sure 'elderly drivers' are waaay up there. For clarity, I mean those in the 85+ category.

I think that generalisation is better described as a good observation!

I'm sure 'elderly drivers' are waaay up there. For clarity, I mean those in the 85+ category.

I think that generalisation is better described as a good observation!
Maybe, nut crashing at 9mph doesn't cause as much carnage as crashing at 90mph.

I can't actually remember the last time I went through a normal till in a supermarket, pre-covid I think. I meant to get to my usual supermarket about 7 this morning but overslept so ended up being 9ish, actually not too bad, noise cancelling headphones on, scan my trolley and no queue at the checkout, happy days.

Maybe, nut crashing at 9mph doesn't cause as much carnage as crashing at 90mph.

They work together... A wet-behind-the-ears youth in his Seat Ibiza will crash at 90mph into Ethel in her Honda Jazz pulling out of a junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back