Nightmare Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove 75 miles down the M1 this lunchtime. I'd been to Leeds to visit my son last night and came back to the Midlands today. Torrential rain and gibbering muppets tailgating each other. By the way what a great town Leeds is (to any Leeds folk reading this). Smashing people and brilliant pubs.

Sponsored Links
A combination of poor preparation by the stores and selfish tuuattery by customers makes Christmas shopping extra stressful.

Went to Tesco yesterday. No shelf edge labels for many items so you don't know the price. Signage is awful, you can't find stuff. Queues at the checkout are huge because they have ripped most of the manned ones out and put in "UIITBA" checkouts instead.

M&S was even worse this morning.

Got up early to try and miss the crowds, but failed miserably.

Asked a lady who looked like she might be queuing but it wasn't obvious if she was in the queue and got told "What the F does it look like?"

I told her I didn't want to say what it looked like, as there had been enough unnecessary swearing already. She opened her mouth to say something and her sensible teenage daughter gave her a jab in the ribs, so she didn't reply.

Waitrose was far less busy (should have gone there in the first place; you pay a bit more but it's a far more peaceful experience) but they had completely sold out of mince pies apart from a few boxes of Heston's kumquat, rats tail and cheese mince pies.

Their self checkout was the worst I'd ever used.

They have a small metal tray on which you have to stack stuff after scanning which, if you have more than a few items, causes issues. Had to call the checkout lady over to rectify this then some stuff didn't scan properly....

I've never gone through a self checkout without needing input from a staff member and swore a while ago I'd never use one again, but the "normal" checkouts were so rammed, I decided to make an exception.

Added to the mix were selfish customers who blocked aisles with their trollies and a guy at Waitrose who decided to park in the roadway in front of our space so we couldn't get out. The roadway was narrow enough not to allow cars behind him to pass either. Mrs Secure got out, tapped on his window and asked him to move. He was not happy. Audi Q7 driver.

Just helping to confirm my theory that the majority of selfish or dangerous manoeuvres are by drivers of Audi, BMW or Mercedes, closely followed by Range Rover.

You sound like a right pain...lol

I drove 75 miles down the M1 this lunchtime. I'd been to Leeds to visit my son last night and came back to the Midlands today. Torrential rain and gibbering muppets tailgating each other. By the way what a great town Leeds is (to any Leeds folk reading this). Smashing people and brilliant pubs.
Some cars like mine have a radar which keeps the distance between your car and that in front.
You can set how many lengths the distance is.
Mine is always set at minimum, so one length (5 metre).
Looks like I'm tailgating but in reality I'm not.
The car basically drives itself by braking and accelerating accordingly to the car in front.
I went all the way to Scotland "tailgating" my wife, but sometimes I had to push on the gas... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Some cars like mine have a radar which keeps the distance between your car and that in front.
The car basically drives itself by braking and accelerating accordingly to the car in front.
I went all the way to Scotland "tailgating" my wife, but sometimes I had to push on the gas... :LOL:
that's not the way the police will look at it. And they will prosecute if caught.

I was in Home Bargains last night - very busy as you'd expect with big queues. An announcement came from overhead "We are opening till 2". I felt sorry for the already harassed staff having to work that late

Your knowledge of physics is deplorable.

If someone was to head on smash with your wife (God forbid), you would smash straight into the back of your wifes car,
and possibly help to kill her.

Can't think of a more stupid way of driving.

Which is a nonsense - the faster you are moving, the greater the distance needs to be allowed for differences in braking ability and adhesion to the road.

Does it look like this?

EDIT: Apols to any other Audi drivers.

1671831402796.png

Last edited:
So you drive at the same distance whether doing 17 or 70 mph?

Stopping distince is some polynomial - ie worse than linear - of the speed. There's an offset and a V² term.

The rulebook zero-think-time number is something like 1 m per mph. But that doesn't account enough for high speeds.
so at 70 mph that's 14 car lengths. 70mph is 6 car lengths per second..
Wet road? Double it and more.
Suppose the car in front stops slightly quicker than you? Say 8%. You hit the car. Even with zero perception delay in the system.

Time is a better simple metric - 2 seconds gap is sensible. If some plonker pulls out and fills it, never mind, let it grow again.
2 seconds isn't enough to stop you from 70 - that would take about 6 seconds.

For a 2 second gap at 70 set it to 12 car lengths. Say 8-10 because you don't have to think.
What's the point of going closer? You don't get there quicker!

Last edited:
that's not the way the police will look at it. And they will prosecute if caught.
I really want to meet anyone prosecuted for driving behind another car.
Impossible to prove any form of guilt and cps wouldn't touch it.
Unless they're so stupid to admit an offence, which is what most fools do.
Your knowledge of physics is deplorable.

If someone was to head on smash with your wife (God forbid), you would smash straight into the back of your wifes car,
and possibly help to kill her.

Can't think of a more stupid way of driving.
Head on on an empty motorway with a mile vision ahead.
Very unlikely.
Even less unlikely she would die because she was in a Passat B5 and she's unbreakable like wonder woman.
Which is a nonsense - the faster you are moving, the greater the distance needs to be allowed for differences in braking ability and adhesion to the road.
It's an A6 Le Mans.
Unless the car in front is a supercar with ceramic brakes, mine will stop as lot quicker.
So you drive at the same distance whether doing 17 or 70 mph?

Stopping distince is some polynomial - ie worse than linear - of the speed.

With Zero thinking time, the rulebook numbers are something like 1 m per mph.
so at 70 mph that's 14 car lengths. 70mph is 6 car lengths per second.
Suppose the car in front stops slightly quicker than you? Say 10%. You hit the car.

Time is a better simple metric - 2 seconds gap is sensible. If some plonker pulls out and fills it, never mind, let it grow again.
You don't understand what this system does.
It brakes for you and the thinking time of the computer is virtually zero.
70 metres at 70mph???
Even an old banger would stop quicker than that.
We had a bet a few years ago with a friend former traffic copper: he said that it was impossible to stop a car from 70mph in less than a certain distance that I don't remember.
What I remember is that he had to buy a round of drinks because I stopped my passat in less than half of what he'd learned at cops school.
We still take the p#ss out of him about the boll@x he was brainwashed with as a copper.
And before you all start moaning, the test was performed on a private road, not open to traffic.
I am ready for same bet with same car, now 25 years old if anyone wants proof.

Looks like I'm tailgating but in reality I'm not

Why do you want to drive like that? Have you thought about what the driver in front of you will be thinking? Are you trying to intimidate other drivers on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back