Football. Have I heard this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two English teams have reached the champions league final and its being held in Turkey which is currently in lockdown in just three weeks time? How many UK supporters are they expecting to travel? Why can’t they have it over here?

Sponsored Links
Why can’t they have it over here?

You bid to host it years in advance, just like the Olympics or The World Cup. (or the "crappy" countries would never get to see a final in their country). All the hotels get booked up months in advance, not knowing who'll be in the final. TV crews, extra Police, Paramedics, staff at the venue, etc, etc are all organised already.

It's all booked! Can't swap it with less than 4 weeks to go.

Wembley is hosting 2024, BTW, that's already been decided.

You bid to host it years in advance, just like the Olympics or The World Cup. (or the "crappy" countries would never get to see a final in their country). All the hotels get booked up months in advance, not knowing who'll be in the final. TV crews, extra Police, Paramedics, staff at the venue, etc, etc are all organised already.

It's all booked! Can't swap it with less than 4 weeks to go.

Wembley is hosting 2024, BTW, that's already been decided.
Yeah but that was before Covid. If fans can’t travel or even attend the match, the police, hotels, ground staff etc won’t be needed so why send the teams all that way?

Sponsored Links
It was more of a generic answer as to why it can't be changed at the last minute, but, even with Covid, the stadium will be getting an awful lot of money from TV companies and sponsorship of the event, even if the stadium was empty.

In theory, Turkey's lockdown ends on 17th May!! It's just a quick 3 week lockdown!!

It appears I can book flights to Istanbul from any London airport the day before the match right now, from a few different airlines.

It was more of a generic answer as to why it can't be changed at the last minute, but, even with Covid, the stadium will be getting an awful lot of money from TV companies and sponsorship of the event, even if the stadium was empty.

In theory, Turkey's lockdown ends on 17th May!! It's just a quick 3 week lockdown!!

It appears I can book flights to Istanbul from any London airport the day before the match right now, from a few different airlines.

It was moved from Istanbul to Portugal last year...... why not this year

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/202... announced on 23,two stadiums across the city.

So, we'll postpone Istanbul again this year, tell them they can have it next year and push the others back a year also... ...

...and then two German teams are in the final next year, for example, so we'll postpone Istanbul again, let the Allianz Arena have it and so on... ...etc.

So, we'll postpone Istanbul again this year, tell them they can have it next year and push the others back a year also... ...

...and then two German teams are in the final next year, for example, so we'll postpone Istanbul again, let the Allianz Arena have it and so on... ...etc.

That's tough tit ... we are in a pandemic. Wembley I think is holding it next year. If that is the case then swap it.

The FA cup this year will be played in front of 20000 Chelsea & Leicester fans; so could the CLfinal if it were at Wembley.
Football is all about fans.
Istanbul will be empty because they are in lock down..

This requires common sense.

Up to 8000 expected to travel ... not only an environmental disaster but also very likely a Covid calamity.

There is very few things stupider than football and its supporters.

Turkey is on the green list.
Travel to and from Turkey is not restricted. It does require confinement (at home) on return.

Up to 8000 expected to travel ... not only an environmental disaster but also very likely a Covid calamity.

There is very few things stupider than football and its supporters.

That's tough tit ... we are in a pandemic. Wembley I think is holding it next year. If that is the case then swap it.

The FA cup this year will be played in front of 20000 Chelsea & Leicester fans; so could the CLfinal if it were at Wembley.
Football is all about fans.
Istanbul will be empty because they are in lock down..

This requires common sense.

Does the above seem stupid

sounds eminently sensible to me - of course it should be held at wembly or somewhere half way between the two clubs - not thousands of miles away.

In a normal year with no covid I'd have no problem with Istanbul and two English clubs.. I'd actually prefer to see my Chelsea play in Istanbul.

I am missing my normal seats in the directors box. Heated seats, complimentary blankets!
FEBF5F91-877F-4154-9AF7-683F39516B8C.png
84DFE715-EF1E-4470-AF52-03C4503E3A92.png
3DD13B11-060E-4AD1-AA00-CA05DD176B74.png

Sponsored Links
Back