Football Highlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's bugged me for years and I can't see any logical reason why when a replay of a Football game highlights is televised, why do the programme directors Never Ever put the elapsed time of the match on display. In order to get the feeling of why players are playing the way they do is very often governed by how much of the game has elapsed and therefore I consider it crucial information.
But they never include the time elapsed.
I have asked many far mor knowledgeable people than I on the game of football and none can give me even a hint as to why the time is omitted, but all have agreed with my idea that the information is crucial in analysing the tactics being played.
Anyone any good reasons to put forward?

Sponsored Links
how would you show it. the clock would be jumping around all over the place.

I agree with you entirley though!

i always look which way they're running.

45 min's each way.

is that close enough. :LOL:

how would you show it. the clock would be jumping around all over the place.

I agree with you entirley though!
It wouldn't jump around all over the place, just jump to the time which is being shown playing and I feel this is important. The time would be shown in exactly the same place as live matches. In this way we would have a better idea as to what stage the game is at. The closer to the whistle the more desperate the players become, and this alone can explain unforced errors!!!!!

Sponsored Links
i always look which way they're running.

45 min's each way.

is that close enough. :LOL:

No, that is not anywhere near close enough. The closer to half time causes desperation, and the closer to full time causes desperate desperation. The time is important as it also gives the viewer an idea of how long the loser has to play with to secure a draw or a win and the how long the winner has to hold on to the lead. I would have thought this was a fundamental bit of information to have to enable full enjoyment of the highlights rather than a sudden end to the proceedings without knowing if the game was even close to the final whistle or maybe 15 minutes to go.
Remember I know 'nowt' about footy.

Err, the commentator sometimes gives you a clue, thats all they seem to talk about.
Well that and the dodgy decisions by the ref after they have replayed it a dozen times. ;)

Err, the commentator sometimes gives you a clue, thats all they seem to talk about.
Well that and the dodgy decisions by the ref after they have replayed it a dozen times. ;)

Yes - But why no time display????????????

It makes the editing look neater i suppose and its really not that difficult to tell.

Plus if anyone scores it usually displays the minute then.

It makes the editing look neater i suppose and its really not that difficult to tell.

Plus if anyone scores it usually displays the minute then.

I find it very difficult to tell the timing of the match.
Please tell me how you do it, then my enjoyment of the match will be so much enhanced.

I agree that when a goal is scored the time is displayed, but when the game resumes, then what time is it???? No Score -No time.

players are playing the way they do is very often governed by how much of the game has elapsed

You've answered your own question.

If the intensity of the game was constant throughout then i could understand the need to know how long is left. The fact that the play differs usually in favour of one team attacking then this is a good enough clue.

In order to get the feeling of why players are playing the way they do is very often governed by how much of the game has elapsed

You've answered your own question.

If the intensity of the game was constant throughout then i could understand the need to know how long is left. The fact that the play differs usually in favour of one team attacking then this is a good enough clue.

Sorry I disagree. you assume that players do not play intensely at the start of a game or half way through a game which is patently untrue. They get paid enough (far too much in my view) to at least give it a good go for 90 minutes. But even so, why guess the time elapsed through a game using clues, when all that is required is the time displayed in the top of the screen in exactly the same way as a live match. The information is clearly available so Why suppress it?.
If your suggestion is valid then one must ask the question in reverse - Why bother showing the time on a live match if all that is requires is a use of clues to guess? They show the time because it is important. So if it is important in a live match surely it is just as important in the highlights.
I might add that the people that make the decisions as to whether the time elapsed is shown or not clearly know more about football than I do, which I might add is not a great amount. But I still fail to understand why they don't include the elapsed time and I have received no replies which answers the original question. 'Clues' and 'good enoughs' are not really valid answers. There must be a good reason, but what is it?
I am still at a loss to understand the reason for the omission.

why guess the time elapsed through a game using clues, when all that is required is the time displayed in the top of the screen in exactly the same way as a live match. The information is clearly available so Why suppress it?.
I'm sure it's possible but the problem I would see is that you have to keep looking at the time if it had altered, a good idea though.

why guess the time elapsed through a game using clues, when all that is required is the time displayed in the top of the screen in exactly the same way as a live match. The information is clearly available so Why suppress it?.
I'm sure it's possible but the problem I would see is that you have to keep looking at the time if it had altered, a good idea though.

But it would only take 200mS and could be done when action was predictable and it would make the viewing experience with an added dimension, for a football fan but novice such as myself.
There must be a reason the Producers suppress the time though, but I just can't see what it is!

I reckon the images taken through the cameras are raw, without all the digital enhancements such as TV logo, time, match data, etc, and it is only those images, when collated on to a master stream that are edited for highlights.

Live transmissions carry a production team who will add the data to the master stream, which might be saved before the data is added and probably doesn't get saved after the data is added.

Write to Gary Lineker and ask him to give the answer on MTD. I'm sure you're not the only person who likes to see the match timings.

I reckon the images taken through the cameras are raw, without all the digital enhancements such as TV logo, time, match data, etc, and it is only those images, when collated on to a master stream that are edited for highlights.

Live transmissions carry a production team who will add the data to the master stream, which might be saved before the data is added and probably doesn't get saved after the data is added.

Write to Gary Lineker and ask him to give the answer on MTD. I'm sure you're not the only person who likes to see the match timings.

hat's a feir idea Kev - I will try it but i would think Garry Lineker is inundated with mail of a more significant nature and I would guess his team will bin the mail but it is worth a try

Sponsored Links
Back