Fortnightly waste collection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is now a report that says there is no health hazard with fortnightly collections (which there probably isn't). I wonder who commissioned the report, and given the truths that have been told to us about the Iraq war and the cost for the olympic games, is there any reason to believe this report, which seems to say just what politicians would want to hear? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
We have to do what Blair tell us.In common sense it would tell you that to have rubbish laying about for a fortnight is going to be a health hazard especially in the summer.Think of all that rubbish rotting,the smell,the rats.Blair has been told it's not a hazard so he will steam a head with it.

our general rubbish bin gets full in a week, let alone two weeks.

if we put stuff in a bin bag, and leave it by the bin, they wont take it.
Most of my neighbours havent realised this yet.

my neighbour does not seem to understand that as we have 3 bins each (yes, 6 bins total) that the garden waste bin is not for general rubbish, the dustmen have lef an official note on his bin telling him this and he has still left it fulll of general rubbish, guess we will have to wait for it to rot

I actually screwed the lid of my garden waste bin down a few months ago to stop him putting general rubbish in mine,(they stop collecting it about October and only started again 1 1/2 weeks ago), so i filled mine with half a tree i cut down into small pieces (its now full)

But my other imeadiate neighbour and I have a good idea, when all the bins go out to the street if you have extra rubbish you go up and down the road looking for one that is not full and fill it up :LOL:
he does it because he saw me doing it.

Been going on round our way for 10 months now, it's a real pain, as soon as our recycle wheelie is emptied then the landfill bags are stored temporarily in it till the landfill wheelie gets emptied and so on and so forth. I wonder how many back injuries the dustmen will get as the bins are so heavy now?

Sponsored Links
There is a large field next to my house. It is used for dumping all sorts of rubbish including household rubbish. I contact the lacal council from time to time to let them know the rubbish is becoming a health hazard and they have never once thanked me for drawing the fact to their attention. Then a supervisor comes along and makes notes. He goes off to his office, makes a report and the rubbish is cleared during the next couple of weeks. Three men arrive in two vans and spend a good twenty minutes looking at the rubbish before getting the work done. Thats life.

I can see more fly tipping in the future.Near where I live the local farmer's
field was invaded my Irish tinkers,sorry,new age travellers with Irish accents.They turned his field into a s*** tip while the council hummed and rrr'd.After about 6 months they took off.Who paid for clean up?The farmer.
He told me that he had to remove Two dead horses,loads of old metal,a burnt out lorry,stacks of old tyers.The police did nothing nor did the council.

Defra says it is not forcing anyone to do this - it is up to individual councils...

No.10 says, "as long as people know what to do and have the right bins, there are no major problems".

So, I shall be insisting SMBC provide us with wheelie bins to put our bags in, otherwise I shall be writing to Mark Hunter pronto.

Seems like some people are waste generators then. We used to have one dustbin collected once a week. now people have two huge wheelie bins collected once a fortnight, AND THEY STILL CAN'T GET IT ALL IN!!! They should be charged extra!!!! Load of wasters.

We have fortnightly rubbish collections, and a fortnightly "dry recycleable" collection (alternate weeks). We also have a weekly garden/kitchen waste collection - although we compost a lot of our kitchen waste.

Our rubbish bin rarely gets a quarter full now and it doesn't smell or attract flies (despite some the stuff that goes in it).

The dry recycleable - metals/glass/plastics/paper/textiles gets pretty full over the fortnight, but most of the stuff that goes in can be crushed down anyway.

I don't see the problem, the system works for us (apart from having 3 wheelie bins taking up space on the drive)

BoxBasher said:
I don't see the problem, ...............

There isn't a problem, apart for these eco-freaks who generate loads of rubbish, and have rats so large they lift the lids of wheelie bins.

Then there are the sub-human scum that contaminates the recyclables because they don't agree with fortnightly collections. It's not surprising councils want to fit recording equipment to charge these tossas.

I hope this plan never comes off, because my bin gets full after a few days, so if they only collected it every 2 weeks that will mean alot of black bags lying around because they won't take bags along side the wheely bin :mad: even after a week there's about 2-3 bags left over. So times that by ... and there will be a hell of alot of bags. Bring back the days when they collected black bags, they used to spend 5 mins taking mine away lol

oilman said:
Seems like some people are waste generators then. We used to have one dustbin collected once a week. now people have two huge wheelie bins collected once a fortnight, AND THEY STILL CAN'T GET IT ALL IN!!! They should be charged extra!!!! Load of wasters.

not true.

when i was young we had a small metal bin, as you say it never got filled.
Then, you brought meat wrapped in paper, a lamp had a curgated box etc.

now each peice of meat is wrapped in celophane with a polystyrene tray, now a lamp is in a box, in the box is packaging, around the box is shrink wrap. etc.

you seem to choose not to mention then there wasless packaging than we have now, also now we have more dispoable income, so can buy more stuff, that has ........................more packaging.

In them days you could burn rubbish, old trees, etc, not now, you cant.

its not our fault there is too much packaging, THATS why bins are full.

In asda a while back and took the runner beans out of the package and threw then into the pick your own bag, so they were loose, 44p cheaper, people are starting to refuse paying for the extra packing,they're paying to recieve it, paying to get rid

We havent gone onto fortnightly!!! yet!! But no doubt our council are sitting dreaming up the most awkward and fuel wasting system possible. Thing is as they wont empty your bin if the lid wont shut and they wont take any extra bags, people are making special trips to the tip. Seems to me this waste recycling is using an awfull lot of extra fuel. Be interesting to go back a few yrs, measure the so called carbon footprint and compare with todays footprint....Still keeps mr Biffa happy with having treble the ammount of trucks chugging around all day every day...

oilman said:

if you are like me oilman you are the wrong side of 50 :D :D ;)

we must also remember milk bottles pop bottles beer bottles where returned for the 3 old "d" deposit [1p]

there was no such thing as food waste as everything was eaten as people struggled to put food on the table
vegitables where often grown at home with peelings recycled in the garden

junkfood didnt exist disposable nappies didnt exist
luxuries like tvs and radios where only aforded by saving up for months or years and never had any packaging

up at the local shop shopping came in a bag paper' leather'canvas whatever your mum gave you to carry it home in :D :D :D ;)

vegetables at the bottom tins and packets on top with the very occasional bit of meat wraped in paper on top and no other packaging at all

Sponsored Links
Back