Fortnightly waste collection

About 18 months back we were forced onto fortnightly collections, (Lib Dems got in at the local elections) alternating between normal waste and recycleable/garden waste.
To put it bluntly it didn't work, and turned out to be a right fiasco. Most families struggling with only the one waste bin, and more often than not that said bin being full after only one week. Woe betide you if your bin lid didn't close properly, all you got was a sticker on your bin telling you to take some of the contents out but don't leave it in a black bin bag at the side for the next time, because that won't get moved as well. But it did tell you where the nearest tip was, (sorry recycling centre) so you could then get in your car (more pollution) to make a trip to get rid of that you are already paying for in council tax.
Eventually people had had enough and voted Labour back in control but that was only because they promised to bring back weekly collections in their pre election leaflets. So now for the time being we're back to weekly collection, there's no complaints on the local papers letters page, theres no smells from the bins and neighbours have to think of another subject to talk about.
Maybe after this latest announcement we'll have the waste disposal subject again.

Sponsored Links
POLLTAX

get them rioting , at parliement ,,coach parties down ......massess of of upset / WE PAID FOR BIN COLLECTION ADULTS/SENIORS ALL OUR PAIRED FOR LIFES ,talked to like yob scum

on atend in there is govt dont lay on toilets an nurseing care ... ......shame on them ..

GREY POWER WILL .........NW
;)

I personally don't understand the issue here. A while back I had to move back in with my parents for a couple of months so there were 4 adults & 2 kids in the house.

They only have 2 weekly collections but we NEVER had a lack of space in the bin & they only had 1 wheely bin for general refuse & a couple of recycling drums. There is no conspiracy theory here, we need to waste less, it's as simple as that. Next time your bin is full in just 1 week, take 5 minutes to think about what in your bin could have been recycled or composted. You'd be suprised at how little rubbish is left afterwards.

In my current town, the recycling is collected every 2 weeks, but there are no wheely bins so black bags are collected weekly. I can count on one hand the number of times we have had more than 1 bag to put out, yet there are people up and down the street that put out 3 or 4 every week - it's ridiculous.

The council here - wrongly in my opinion - doesn't collect certain items for recycling - plastic tubs & cardboard mainly - so I simply put these in a basket & take them down to a sort it centre once every 4-5 weeks or so, it's really not that hard. The centre is right next door to the local Tesco's, so there's not even an extra trip involved.

Anyway, rant over. I'm not an eco-freak, I just find it easy to take a couple of steps to cut down on landfill waste.

Well said Big-all ;) and in those days dustbins were for dust.......from the coke burned in the 1 fire/heatsource in the house :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So if the binmen are only doing half the job they do now, does that mean we only have to pay half their part of the council tax? This is also going to put a lot of people out of jobs too, as one crew can now cover 2 ares..so half the binmen in the country will get sacked?

Maxxy said:
So if the binmen are only doing half the job they do now, does that mean we only have to pay half their part of the council tax? This is also going to put a lot of people out of jobs too, as one crew can now cover 2 ares..so half the binmen in the country will get sacked?
Who do you think is picking up the recycling?

Crafty said:
Maxxy said:
Who do you think is picking up the recycling?

Still the same amount of waste they used to pick up before we had different coloured bags and bins, just in multiple trips now

Paper Spark said:
..........we're back to weekly collection, there's no complaints on the local papers letters page, theres no smells from the bins ............

We have had wheelie bins for around 15 years and fortnightly collections for about 6 years. I can't understand what people are doing to have smelly bins, ours has NEVER been cleaned and has only a musty smell, and not very strong.

heres my sober rant ...erm post ...LOL

we have had fortnightly for a good while ....
being the chair of our local neighbourhood watch in our leafy suburb ,
I made sure our bins were emptied properly ,

(mainly me being from the old sink estate the bin lads lived on an know them ....)

before hand I was getting calls that bins werent emptied /left up street /an what not ..., :( :(
til I went out last Dec morn an had a cheery chat with the lads ,
an said we all recycle (sp?) an is their a prob with leaving the bins up the drives in future , eh , lads ?
never had a problem since ... :)

breezer an a few others here .....
I remember what you lot say regarding old days an Im only in my 40s ...
most of what you were saying on our salford sink estate we grew up with
lol

take tonight its recycle bin day tomorrow in our street ,
no one has been a *plantpot* an stuck their green bin on the kerb for the wind to hoof over down the street, sending cans clattering ...lol..lol

All kept them up the drives , ....
but I promise you ....
our binlads will march up drives ,
an wheel em down an empty them in the morn an return them ...no probs ;)

maybe just cause I know them ... or I showed them respect an was humble to the low paid job they do .......;)

Either way ... Im sure the residents will be pleased I have come home ......maybe ..lol..lol :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back