Foundation Type/Size for Man Cave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am looking at building a large brick and block shed/mancave back garden, it will all fall withing permitted developed so wont need any special permissions. I am thinking constructing something about 5 x 3 with a roof no higher than 2.5m. What foundations would you use, strip or trenched filled and how deep and wide would you go? Do you think i will need any sort of steel reinforcement?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
I would go as deep as the local conditions required.

I would never use reinforcement in a trench foundation.

I would go as deep as the local conditions required.

I would never use reinforcement in a trench foundation.

Cheers Woody,

I might have to have a change of area in the garden, just been doing some reading and started to read about trees and foundations, my neighbour has massive conifer type trees at the back of his garden so it might not be an option now after all!

It will depend on whether the soil is shrinkable or not, the variety of tree and the distance away it is. Just because a tree is near will not necessarily stop you building near it.

Or use a raft foundation.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on whether the soil is shrinkable or not, the variety of tree and the distance away it is. Just because a tree is near will not necessarily stop you building near it.

Or use a raft foundation.

Hi Woody,

I believe the trees are leylandii, they are quite tall but i dug that area up a few years back and put raised decking with 4 corner posts cemented in the ground with intermediate posts as well, i don't recall coming across any roots then and the decking is about 5 x 3 metre in the same area i was looking at constructing the outbuilding.

Roots are rarely problems. It's the extraction of water from the ground that causes the soil to shrink and foundations to move.

What about building in timber frame with some pad foundations, like a Segal house? Fair enough if you have your heart set on brick and block but there are advantages in building in timber.

I think I will look at building at the other side if the garden, I have a big garden so no problems over that side. So what size foundations should I be looking at digging, would digging 60cm wide and 60cm down, then filling with 45cm of concrete, is that enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back