Free Money ??

an interesting thought occured whilst reading your post, although the law doesn't force one to sell, if an agreement to sell has been established is there a precedence that states the verbal agreement binds the parties to complete the sale? I know that a verbal agreement is tantamount to sell in the case of housing (in scotland i beleive) but is this an amendment to existing law or is this a new statute?

technically yes. under contract law the contract has been made and if one party frustrates it the other does have redress, however try doing it!

while we are on the subject of legal tender etc, there is no legal obligation for a shop to give you change when you have paid for something

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
and also the change would decimate the float in the cash register.
indeed, so why are people still amazed when they go into a convenience store at 6am, first customer, and try to buy a newspaper with a £20 note, and get looks of disgust from the cashier? Convenience stores, unlike larger stores, usually have £50 floats. About £20 in £1's, the rest in small change! No small notes! I simply refuse to serve people who do this.

What also irritates me is men (usually) who come to the till, but a few items for, say, £3.45. They pull out a handful of change (i look and can count out £3.45 in his hand!) and a fiver. He hands me the fiver (either he is in a hurry or cant be bothered to count change). Yet he is in so much of a hurry he can wait for ME to count change back into his hand. Women dont do this, they seem to realise they have to get rid of that small change somewhere. Men must just hand the change to their wives!

crafty1289 said:
What also irritates me is men (usually) who come to the till, but a few items for, say, £3.45. They pull out a handful of change (i look and can count out £3.45 in his hand!) and a fiver. He hands me the fiver (either he is in a hurry or cant be bothered to count change). Yet he is in so much of a hurry he can wait for ME to count change back into his hand. Women dont do this, they seem to realise they have to get rid of that small change somewhere. Men must just hand the change to their wives!
Has it never ocurred to you that they might be on their way to somewhere in the car, and where they park they will need coins for the ticket machine?

Plus it is quicker for you to make £1.55 in change from a compartmented drawer than it is for him to pick through a handful of coins and then wait for you to count it.

ban-all-sheds said:
Has it never ocurred to you that they might be on their way to somewhere in the car, and where they park they will need coins for the ticket machine?
yes, but i'm on about those who come in with ridiculous amounts of loose change, with copper.

ban-all-sheds also said:
Plus it is quicker for you to make £1.55 in change from a compartmented drawer than it is for him to pick through a handful of coins and then wait for you to count it.
I can count small change from a customer in a matter of a couple of seconds, you get used to these things, sometimes if i'm being really quick, i dont even look at the coins, i just count them into the drawer. If they give me £1.50 i can tell just by feeling, that it is a pound coin and a 50p and just throw it into the drawer in the right compartment without looking. This is why i said i could see the customer has £3.45 in his hand - i can count change in someone else's hand, and watch him counting it out in his hands. I dont check it in my hand then, i just count it into the drawer while the customer walks away! ;) Have i made my point? ;)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
yes, but i'm on about those who come in with ridiculous amounts of loose change, with copper.
Fair enough.

Don't get too bent out of shape though - on a scale of 1-important, somebody giving you a fiver because he can't be *rsed to count out some coins is not worth raising your blood pressure.

ban-all-sheds also said:
I can count small change from a customer in a matter of a couple of seconds, you get used to these things, sometimes if i'm being really quick, i dont even look at the coins, i just count them into the drawer. If they give me £1.50 i can tell just by feeling, that it is a pound coin and a 50p and just throw it into the drawer in the right compartment without looking. This is why i said i could see the customer has £3.45 in his hand - i can count change in someone else's hand, and watch him counting it out in his hands. I dont check it in my hand then, i just count it into the drawer while the customer walks away! ;) Have i made my point? ;)
OK - even so, even if you don't have to count his money, I'll bet you making change from his fiver is quicker than just him counting out the change in the first place.

notb665 said:
I made a bit of free money once. I had a "Home Movers" card .............................In the 80`s some company was silly enought to send me a credit card with a £10 gift on it,,,,,,,FOC.so me and the mrs got one each and filled each car with a tenners worth of juice then cut up the cards :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: And we`ve never been in debt since ;) 2 years on the mortgage left :LOL: I ask you...£20 then was worth :?: @ todays money-was over 20yrs ago.

being really quick, i dont even look at the coins, i just count them into the drawer.
i used to work for currys ages ago. at the end of the night you had to count all the change. we used to just pick up a handfull of 1ps (for example) and would be able to estimate to within 2% how much was there.. (someone used to check if there was time). over the whole cash draw would usually be only out by 5p max for £20 worth of silver..
practise makes perfect.
i can still pick up a bag of 2ps and tell if it is over or under £1

:eek:

I think everyone should do 6 months in retail - the characters you meet! Eeh by gum! If everyone did this National Service it would sort out a lot of attitude problems.

I used to work in Rumbelows. One Saturday near Christmas I cashed up and held £150,000 in my hand. :eek:

notb665 said:
I think everyone should do 6 months in retail - the characters you meet! Eeh by gum! If everyone did this National Service it would sort out a lot of attitude problems.
my feelings exactly. People might learn the importance of MANNERS and NOT TALKING ON YOUR PHONE while being served. The number of people i have to serve (not just schoolkids, all kinds) who come to the counter, buy something, and go, without so much as a murmer. A thankyou or even a "cheers" is always appreciated and never wasted.

I think everyone should do 6 months between ages of 16-17, just till work, in a convenience store - where you meet all kinds of people. Also would teach them the importance of preventing underage drinking and asking for ID and learning not to go off on one at the cashier when they get ID'd in a couple of years.

Sponsored Links
Back