Heathrow not free

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to terminal 5 to drop some relatives off. I followed the signs to the pickup area. The signs lead to the car park. I ended up having to pay £6 for it. Anyone knows if the free pickup and drop off area has been eliminated? Have I gone to the wrong place or followed the wrong signs? What a total f'ing rip off that was. The f'ers have no trouble giving free money to ukraine, but free drop off for locals is too much for them.

Sponsored Links
Same happened at Bristol airport. After the bearded sheet wearers attempted to park a car loaded with unleaded in the doorway of Glasgow airport they banned drop offs right outside the door. Airport insisted drop offs were to be made in short stay car park. You could have 10 mins free, any longer and they ripped you for big bucks. Not happy with this scam, they eventually dropped the free 10 mins. Dropping or collecting someone at Bristol now requires you to surrender £5. Even if you're only in there 1 minute.

More benefits of the multicultural society, I suppose. :rolleyes:

If you are picking people up or dropping people off, and want to do it without either using the short stay or paying the drop off charge, then you need to meet/drop them at the long stay. You get 30 mins free.

Same happened at Bristol airport. After the bearded sheet wearers attempted to park a car loaded with unleaded in the doorway of Glasgow airport they banned drop offs right outside the door. Airport insisted drop offs were to be made in short stay car park. You could have 10 mins free, any longer and they ripped you for big bucks. Not happy with this scam, they eventually dropped the free 10 mins. Dropping or collecting someone at Bristol now requires you to surrender £5. Even if you're only in there 1 minute.

You think that airports stopped allowing front door drop-offs because of the Glasgow airport terror attack?
If that were true, why would they introduce charges?

Perhaps it was an excuse to implement extra fees?
Or to reduce the traffic close to the doors, which these days are crowded pedeastrian areas.

The Charles de Gaulle airport has a massive multi-storey drop-off car park. Only taxis and buses are allowed any where near the doors, but even they are charged.
I guess Heathrow is similar.
I suspect terrorists are capable of utilising a taxi or a bus to commit a terrorist incident.

Sponsored Links
I went to terminal 5 to drop some relatives off. I followed the signs to the pickup area. The signs lead to the car park. I ended up having to pay £6 for it. Anyone knows if the free pickup and drop off area has been eliminated? Have I gone to the wrong place or followed the wrong signs? What a total f'ing rip off that was. The f'ers have no trouble giving free money to ukraine, but free drop off for locals is too much for them.
Trying to square the Ukraine - drop off connection

How much were the flights ?

How much was the parking?
Donno, and donno. I am not into travelling, am more of an activities kind of guy - tinkering, fixing, doing, etc. Parking likely to cost more: 6 month parking + removal cost + administration cost.

Most likely? so no proof then, you were moaning about the drop off charge initially, what's it to be?
The heroic volunteers would be funded by the tax payers - it's the least we could do for their heroism. So, everything is intertwined. There isn't a "whatsittobe".

Last edited:
Donno, and donno. I am not into travelling, am more of an activities kind of guy - tinkling, fixing, doing, etc. Parking likely to cost more: 6 month parking + removal cost + administration cost.

The heroic volunteers would be funded by the tax payers - it's the least we could do for their heroism. So, everything is intertwined. There isn't a "whatsittobe".
Load of nonsense then

Bristol airport is a regular drop off for me - friends, family etc. You can drop off for free at the silver zone car park - and the flyers get the shuttle bus to the airport. Several times I realised I was the mug ending up paying the six quid for the drop off, so, last time, about 4 or 5 weeks ago, I said I would drop them at the silver zone. Not a chance. They paid the six quid.

Liverpool airport has double yellow lines on all roads leading up to it. And Camera vans permanently patrolling the area. No free drop offs or parking. Not even for taxis. It's a cash cow. Just gets accepted as part of the holiday cost.

But everyone seems happy spending petrol or diesel money to get there but begrudge parking costs

In my opinion free drop off and collecting has been stopped because it was being abused .

Yes it's a frustrating cost, but in the scale of a cost of a flight its minor.

Sponsored Links
Back