Free standing fence on tarmac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is at the end of a terrace row. The rear of the houses is essentially an open tarmac'd carpark and we all park adjacent to our houses. As my house is at the end and there's no through access. I'd like to erect a fence to hide my car from view.

The surface is tarmac, new tarmac and I don't want to start digging it up. Wondering if it's doable to construct a freestanding fence? Obviously I'd have to have some kind of feet and perhaps construct the fence with small gaps between the pales so it doesn't become a wooden sail.

Fence needs to be 5m long, x 4-5ft high, good idea or not? and is there some calculation as to how wide the feet need to be in relation to how tall the fence is?

Sponsored Links
If it's tarmac over mot (usual) then it's not possible to fix any type of fencing to it - tarmac can't provide the support for the posts/bolt down sockets.

If there's a concrete sub-base beneath the tarmac then there's a chance of using bolt down sockets depending on the depth.

Just a thought - is the land yours to fence in?

It's 100mm tarmac over about 300mm hardcore, I'm not wanting to fix anything to it, hence the title of the thread :D

Sponsored Links
I reckon if I made it heavy and sturdy enough, it might work, assuming I get the centre of gravity right. I'd use heavy duty timber, not light weight fencing panels.

just a thought
are you freehold or lease hold
are there covenants on the deeds stopping or restricting a barrier or fence
in other words you may be restricted in what you can do by more than just planning regulations

I reckon if I made it heavy and sturdy enough, it might work, assuming I get the centre of gravity right. I'd use heavy duty timber, not light weight fencing panels.
None of that will help, it's the lack of being able to get a firm fixing into the ground that will hinder it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back