Friends been forced to move or pay more rent

Joe, the threads about council housing, not benefits, so a bit pointless of you to then go "well ignore that".

Social houses are rented at below cost, then the owners often pay the rent with some assistance with another benefit (like me charging you £20 and giving you £5 so you can afford to pay the £20).

How is getting them to sublet dealing with these issues, how is it freeing up the large family housing stock for those with families (which are not all daily wail immigrants, but mostly our own chavs and honest working families).

BUILD MORE HOUSES says snico, except why build more houses when we have some ready to go, but are being used by those that don't need them.

And I would personally punch anyone in the face that says "I don't want to move into a flat from my nice 4 bed council house", cus plenty of people like me have to work and pay 4x what they pay for "their" house for a flat.

The country needs more houses....thats why we should build them :confused:

Sponsored Links
Britain is a small country and it's overflowing right now .
We have lots of houses-but- we have lots of people too right now.
Just wait until the romanians get here .
You aint see nuffin yet .
They are smarter than we are--or should I say smarter than our politicians are /?.

...and the Bulgarians. Goodbye London.

Social houses are rented at below cost

Depends what you call "Cost" If you mean compared to the private market rate? Then don't forget that this supposed private rate is artificially inflated by demand (which is very high at the moment)

Sponsored Links
No, just the cost of buying the property and maintaining it over a period of time. It's subsidised.

iirc a few years back they used to offer peeps living in bigger social housing cash incentives to move out to a smaller property,x amount in there sky and moving costs to relinquish a bigger house for more deserving families who needed that type of property.

i live on the coast and remember a few years back there was a clamp down on renting out room/s to foreign students,those on benefits were then told there were going to have to declare it as income and rightfully so.overnight the language schools were up a creek because the number of households suddenly stopped taking them in.

my take on this is,if your on benefits and in a big house and cant afford it then move to something smaller where you can manage to live that bit better.

it's not that they can't afford it - benefits are already paying for the rent. They just dont want to move out.

They were quite happy to accept the big house based on "their needs", yet moan about it when they are reassessed after their children move out or go to jail.

Social houses are rented at below cost

Depends what you call "Cost" If you mean compared to the private market rate? Then don't forget that this supposed private rate is artificially inflated by demand (which is very high at the moment)

No, just the cost of buying the property and maintaining it over a period of time. It's subsidised.

Yup.

You can argue how much it is subsidised, but it is subsidised.

If I paid for you to use 4 hotel rooms (1 for you and 3 for your kids), and then your kids left, no reasonable person would expect me to carry on paying for the other three rooms.

Yet with social housing this logic goes out the window, even though in both cases the "property" is rented out to the occupants and owned and paid for by someone else.

To the original question, I personally think it's only fair that they either downsize or officially sub let out spare rooms through the correct council procedure.

This isnt a dig at all council tenants, so dont be offended if you're not like this, but after doing service/repair for local social housing for almost 2 years I was astonished by the attitude of the majority of the tenants.

They were never happy with anything, although in my eyes they pretty much had everything handed to them.
New kitchens/bathrooms every 5-10 years, almost free rent (private cost/month up here min £450- and thats the price for very bottom end of scale 1 bed flat)
Call out times for repairs within 4 hours and they would also moan like hell at this, some even tried to demand compensation :eek:
Wouldnt be so bad if half of them actually looked after the property, totally disgusting to work in.
They get a bad name, but I found the polish houses were always immaculate, guys always at work and they didnt rely on new free kitchens etc, they always did the work themselves.

What I would do to get a house/flat for that price, and I would look after it.
Unfortunately I had to move into a ****hole but at least I know one day it will become my palace but unfortunately I know it wont be soon as just went self employed and hardly have the time to do it up.

Sorry went off a wee bit there, and I know every council tenant doesnt behave this way. As stated, I think its only fair they downsize.

I've never met one that doesn't behave that way. Put the rents to full market value.

Joe, you say "Full Market Value." But who can define Full Market Value? I certainly can't. All I could say is that the full market value is the maximum rental income you could achieve.
A friend of mine owns two houses and rents one out. He makes quite a handsome profit on the house he rents out. (and once the mortgage has been paid, he'll still own the house and could potentially profit further from the sale of it).
Council's are "Non Profit Organisations" so could they justify making a profit from their social housing stock?

An estate agent will tell them market value and do all the letting on the Council behalf.

Then the tenants will have to pay up instead of buying flash cars and caravans - just like everyone else.

I can understand people paying for bigger houses than they need and I can understand moving people into smaller homes to give bigger families the access to larger homes...

This is my take on it. As said, another option may be to take a lodger (ive bought my own house, but have two to pay for the mortgage) to fille the rooms.

However, I certianly dont think that its sensable use of tex payers money to be putting people up in houses far bigger than there need when there is a housing shortage.

Who moves into the house following is largely nothing to do with it, with imigration being another topic in its own right.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Back