From a plug to light swtich then to spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would be grateful if someone could help me out here:

I have the following issue. I have a wire which is underground and it goes to a plug which is plugged in to a socket.
Using the above I want to connect the wire to a light switch then from then from the light switch I need to go to the ceiling spot lights (4 Spot lights), is this possible?
So that means one side will be in a plug then light switch then into the spot lights.
Can someone please tell me how I can achieve this? With detail information on what wires I need and colours please?

Thanks

I have 1 MK light switch and 4 spot lights high voltage I brought from Wickes.

Sponsored Links
I take it you have low voltage lights ;)

What you suggest is feasible since it will just be like an extension cable but in my view not very safe.
You do not say where the new lights are to be fitted.
You do not say where the underground cable goes to and from.
You do not say what size cable you are using.

You will need to fuse down the plug to probably 3Amp and depending on the answers to the questions above run the line, neutral and cpc through the switch.

Sponsored Links
Can someone please tell me how I can achieve this? With detail information on what wires I need and colours please?
No, hopefully not, because anyone asking a question like that really doesn't understand enough about electrical installations to be working on them.

Carrying out electrical work without understanding it is a very bad idea. Following instructions to "put this wire in that hole" without knowing why, and without knowing how it works, is to be strongly discouraged.

Of course everybody has to start somewhere, but you should start by acquiring a solid foundation of knowledge, not by diving into actually doing when you don't know how to do something so simple.

Please spend some time learning how electrical circuits work, what switches do, etc, before having a go - particularly with outside electrical installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back