Front step height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours have just had their front room (stone floor) removed and a wooden floor put in a few feet higher so that the cellar can be used for a room.

However, this leaves the front door with a 8" step, then a 28" step to get into the front room.

There is a big cut across the bottom of the door.

What are the regulations re having a front door and the hight of steps into it?

This is on a main road and leads straight onto the pavement.

Sponsored Links
I just added a pic - its beyond that then.

Sponsored Links
Yep.

NO emergency exit front door now.

They mainly use the back door - but IMO it makes the house harder to sell.

Quite a drop eh :)

So you're saying the new floor level inside is level with the cut in the door? :eek:

Thats the funniest thing I've seen in ages !
Surely they should have had a few steps the other side of the door ?
Or moved the doorway back inside a bit to allow some more steps.
Could they be part way through the job ?
Simon.

Nope - talked to the workmen today.

Owners are away and have left definite instructions that they do not really want that door - they use the back door.
They want as much room in the front room as possible and do not want a vestibule or dropped step.

IMO this is going to make the house unsaleable - it is also removing a fire escape.

Unless they can have a 3/4 door for use in emergencies?

I take it that it cannot open out onto the highway.

I must admit they were my first thoughts and especially when the OP started talking about it making the house harder to sell.

Matty, I'm not being funny mate, but do your neighbours know you've taken a photo of their house and put it on a public forum? If it were me I wouldn't be right happy.

alterations cannot happen if they "reduce the fire escape potential"
would this be included ???
is the head height ok in the room behind the door

also wouldnt such a drastic alteration require planning ??

is the whole bottom floor like that requiring toughened glass every where

What its got to do with me is that I want my cellar changing in a similar way, identical situation.

However I want it to follow building regs.

They have also been doing work on the party wall without submitting a party wall notice.

SO it actually has got something to do with me.

Electricians can post pictures of bad installations on the electrics forum - I am doing similar on here.
:LOL:

As for posting a pic on a public forum - what has that got to do with it - it was taken from a public highway and I am entitled to take a photo from there.

Can you recess the front door in to the building by a few feet so that the number of steps leading up to it are of an acceptable height? Then you'd have a nice storm shelter too. Do you smoke?

Gary

OK we're just teasing!

Anyhoo in terms of accessibility its fairly clear AFAIK, you cannot make an entrance to a property less accessible than it was before although if there is an alternative entrance that was more accessible than the original front door access and this is to be maintained I believe that would satisfy the regs, Although whether Building control would consider the back door an acceptable alternative I am not sure, is the back door easily accessible from the front of the house ie from the pavement? Its not something I've ever had course to do on a domestic property. We cannot comment on whether the fire escape access has been compromised without a before and after layout. Probably not if they plan on keeping a door, probably if they intend sealing it shut or blocking it up.

Technically I believe that in a dwelling there is no minimum level for a door even when on an escape route.

I am not sure if planning is required I suspect not.

As you mentioned you would think it would make it fairly unsellable to most potential buyers.

Its an end terrace house so the back door is a small walk around the side.

Everyone is laughing at this - they house owner has told them that they want the max amount of room and not to bother with internal steps.

If they do replace the door then I certainly hope they do not fit one opening outwards.

They opened up the chimney to how it would have been in 1855 when it was built - you can fit a range cooker in there now.
The plan is supposed to be that they fit a woodburner.
However they have also boarded the back/sides and skimmed it. AFAIK that's all going to crack with the heat.

We are changing our minds about getting this firm round to do ours too :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back