Frost Stat Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

My boiler is located in an outbuilding, due to teh cold weather its coming on quite often, especially at night when we dont really need it to, teh pipe frost stat (old honeywell type which can be set with a philips screwdriver) was set 30c, i have lowered this to 10c.

The rads obvuously heat up but will 10c be ok to keep th eboilert warm and provide adequate frost protection, i'm just thinking the need to lower fuel bills, will it help if i lower the trv on the rads as well overnight?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Incorrectly done.
You need a frost stat and a pipe thermostat.
The frost stat should switch the boiler on until the pipe stat gets hot then then switch off. This should only take a very short time and you wouldn't notice any heat into the house or very little.

I have 2 thermostats, one is on the return pipe and one is on the wall next to the boiler.

The one on the wall is set to 3c, does this need to be set to 5c?
What does teh pipe stat need to be set on?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its usual to set the frost stat to about 5° C and the pipe stat to about 10-15° C.

Its safe to set the frost stat to 3° C if you are sure that its accurate enough to actually come on at that temperature! That might need some checking.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back