Frozen condensate pipes everywhere you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivixor said:
and no-one would expect to poke a basin waste pipe through the wall and nail it to the outside of the house. Quite apart from the freezing, it would be unsightly.

Our basin waste is poked through the wall, doesn't freeze.

Er, not sure about where you are, but here almost all drainage is done this way in pre 1970 houses, and in some which are a lot later than that. No freezing problems as long as you dont leave a cold tap dripping.

There's the reason. Though having said that, we do have a dripping tap and it doesn't freeze, but then it gets a dollop of hot water from time to time.

Sponsored Links
soil stacks,waste pipes will all freeze at the temps we are getting minus 15

How would a soil stack freeze? A waste pipe shouldn't freeze either unless the installer cock@ed up the installation.

How would a soil stack freeze? A waste pipe shouldn't freeze either unless the installer cock@ed up the installation.

there is water in it. it's cold. :idea:

Where is the water in a soil stack? Its running water. :idea:
I can't believe that. Its been as low as -18 here and no soil stacks frozen.
My basin/bath drains froze though but that was installer error which I had to rectify myself.

Sponsored Links

constant dripping internal overflow from the cistern,dripping tap and poor installation practice all contribute to it. :rolleyes: just remember the basics sh1te runs downhill.they should not block either but they do.

[quote="robertw63"
My Ideal E-type is still going just fine. I've been advised that I could save £200-300 a year by switching to a nice new boiler. That should almost cover the annual servicing, endless spare part renewal and occasional repair callout which modern boilers all seem to need.
I'd rather spend it on the gas and keep the reliability.

Perhaps the modern state of the art [or should that be arc] boilers have an in built electronic device to breakdown when most needed, for it seems that much of the promised saving of gas is made when they are not working.
No doubt in the coming weeks/months the manufacturers will blame the installers and vice versa but until its compulsory for all new boiler installs to be checked, tested and passed by someone other than the person that installs it this crackpot carry on will continue.

3 last week

Installer error.

no, probably just cos it's very cold and there is water in it.
There shouldn't be any water in it - it should run clear.

You ought to go back and check what you've done. You might have a dripping overflow or similar issue.

Mathew

i haven't "done" anything.

i can only assume they and all the various drains that have frozen over the last few weeks have done so because the condensate, or perhaps something else dripping, has frozen in them.

whatever has happened it is nothing to do with me.

i haven't "done" anything.

i can only assume they and all the various drains that have frozen over the last few weeks have done so because the condensate, or perhaps something else dripping, has frozen in them.

whatever has happened it is nothing to do with me.
Apologies - I thought they were stacks you'd fitted.

I think we're in violent agreement here - soil stacks shouldn't be freezing if they, and everything plumbed into them, have been installed correctly. Plumbing a non-syphoned condensate into a soil stack that could lead to freezing is (e.g. plumbing into a non-vertical section) is an example of incorrect installation given the inevitability of problems.

Mathew

at least two were syphoned and still froze, another was an isar so thats no surprise.

at least -10 everynight for two weeks probably won't help.

Where exacty did they freeze?

Fact of the matter is that persistant -10C temperatures are no longer a rarity hence the situation needs to be considered and accomodated to prevent problems. Plumbing into horizontal sections of soil pipes is not acceptable.

Mathew

Where exacty did they freeze?

Fact of the matter is that persistant -10C temperatures are no longer a rarity hence the situation needs to be considered and accomodated to prevent problems. Plumbing into horizontal sections of soil pipes is not acceptable.

Mathew

one was plumbed inside on a hidden section pipe which presumably led to the stack from a toilet and shower. it seemed to be frozen outside at ground level a long way from anything but the kitchen sink.

another froze outside at ground level. the condensate connection was within a metre of the frozen section but was connected directly under the sink u-bend.

the isar one was frozen pretty much everywhere. :LOL:

only one of those was in a position that i would consider exposed.

anything that was plumbed into a roof drain pipe froze last week and probably won't defrost 'til well into next month now. i think we dipped to -20 this week at one point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back