FSU Under Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Bathroom Company has installed a FSU under a Bath in a Customers house, it is for the Spa Bath. The company has said it is normal to put them there. There have also done spots in the bath room and told the customer that there dont need a cert!

I've told them that the defo need a cert, it needs signing off with part p, and the FSU should be outside of the bathroom and not UN-accessable as it is at the minute. Am I Right?

I know being under the bath and only accessible with a tool means it is outside of zones, but isnt there a reg that says isolation should be easily accessible?

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You're absolutely right!!!!, I posted an item that matches this one just last week!!!

The quality of the install was SH1TE!!! I told the customer to get the installers back and do it properly.

so should the FSU be in an accessible place or is it ok to be beneath the bath?

so should the FSU be in an accessible place or is it ok to be beneath the bath?

If it is intended to switch the spa bath on and off regularly such as when cleaning it then it should be accessible.

If it is just there because the manufacturers stated it should have a certain rating of fuse then it can be under the bath, as if the fuse needs replacement it is very likely the spa bath will need some repairs as well. In this case it would not be unreasonable to put it under the bath as you would need to remove the side panel to get at the spa pump etc. anyway.

It's all notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
Note also that the space under a bath is classed as zone1 if accessible without a tool (e.g. if it's one of those plastic sides that just pops in and out), at which point an FCU or whatever isn't allowed under it. If it's a proper side that would require a tool to open then it's out of zones so is OK to put an accessory under there.

Other than that, you're quite right, any electrical work in a bathroom (in England or Wales, Scotland is different) is notifiable under Part P of the building regs...

Doh, I see you're already aware of the zoning - I really should read posts more thoroughly!

Arent isolators meant to be accessible at all times? I've read an NICEIC sheet which says they must be RCD protected and outside of bathroom. Surely spa baths would be turned on when in use and off again when not being used?

I would have thought you would need a means of isolation under the bath for maintenance :confused:

Surely its safer to have a FSU for isolation outside of the bathroom which can be used to isolate spa bath when not in use or for maintenance?
Does any1 know if there's a reg on this?

I am not sure of the particular reg, but think that there is one & also common sense says that it should be within easy reach in the case of use for maintenance.

I considered it this way

1. If under the bath that requires a tool for access, then isolation is

not possible, so therefore non-compliant

2. If under the bath and no tool required for access then in Zone 1 and
therefore non-compliant

3. It is a switch, there is power there and there is water the IP rating is
insufficient therefore non-compliant

4. Water + Electricity don't mix, it should be outside the bathroom!!

Simples!!!

This is what I told the customer I dealt with, told them it was badly installed, potentially dangerous and it was isolated at the CU and I would note this on my MWC for the work done that day.

CMA!!!!! Every time

If you can't see the isolator, and it is used for maintenence, you need to be able to lock it off.

Under the bath is fine.

Really Rob!! So with the (S)FCU under the bath and potentially unaccessable the only means of isolation now being at the CU it is acceptable to only be able to isolate the 'appliance' at the CU! (by locking off)

I'm slightly astounded!!

Admittedly by isolating and locking off at the CU then it is almost a gaurantee that the cicuit is dead and obviously we would prove dead before commencing work

Would you agree that the SFCU would be better placed outside the room thou?

Not really.

Why would you need to isolate the bath, other than for maintenence?

If the switch is installed for functional switching, then it needs to be somewhere easy to get to. Outside the bathroom would be the best place for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back