fuel cost and how to make them lower

ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
Alternatively, you could go to your local chippy, and ask if you could kindly take their old chip fat away for nowt. They'll probably jump at the offer.
Don't try it with Harry Ramsdens...

Also, does anybody know if it's true or urban legend that Pataks run their lorries on the oil they've used for cooking curries, and that they leave a trail of gently curry-smelling exhaust behind them?

Hence the charcoal filter !!

Sponsored Links
My neighbour was telling me he tried running his Renault Kangoo on half-and-half, diesel + Lidl's cooking oil. Reckoned it ran fine but felt slightly sluggish. He only stopped because of the fuel pump lubrication issue.

I recall someone on TV a few years ago demonstrating their vege-powered Merc diesel, they adjusted the engine timing or something to allow it to run on pure veggie oil. Perhaps such businesses offer the correct fuel pumps and injectors to work on this?

If you can get your fuel for 65p a litre (including duty) instead of 95p, then a few tanks' worth would pay for the parts, a few more would pay for the labour!

Due to the recent price-hike my little Astra had its first £40 fill-up at the weekend :eek:

ban-all-sheds said:
Eddie M said:
Alternatively, you could go to your local chippy, and ask if you could kindly take their old chip fat away for nowt. They'll probably jump at the offer.
Don't try it with Harry Ramsdens...

Also, does anybody know if it's true or urban legend that Pataks run their lorries on the oil they've used for cooking curries, and that they leave a trail of gently curry-smelling exhaust behind them?

Don't think Harry Ramsdens use beef dripping anymore ?? Don't know about the Pataks thing, I'd like to believe it, but judging by the amount of oil in the pickles that they make, I don't see that they'd have any left....... Damn all that type of pataks has made me hungry.

Dunno about the dripping thing - have a feeling it might be regional, with us southern softies not allowed dripping.

Sponsored Links
Adam

When I bought the Czech Chariot in August 2002, a fill up was 36.50. Last week I filled up for 50.00 on the nail.......

Jim

Scrub that, I misinterpreted what you said.

Your VW TDi must be similar to the 1.9 TDi 110 in the Skoda. Wonder if I dare use veggie diesel now the warranty has gone?

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

It must be heated (thinned) so that it can be properly atomised by the fuel injectors. If it's not properly atomised, it won't burn properly, forming deposits on the injectors and in the cylinder head, leading to poor performance, higher emissions, and reduced engine life.

I think anyone who has ever left spattered cooking oil on their hob for long has found how it turns into droplets of a hard, sticky deposit. Also look how skanky the neck of an oil bottle can get. Seems it can do the same thing in fuel injectors. :eek:

Back