Fumes (oil) through adjoining wall to neighbours house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last couple of days we have noticed heating oil fumes in our living room and upstairs bedrooms which adjoin our neighbours house. On speaking with her today (a pleasant single mother of 3 renting the house) it turns out they have had a problem with the boiler.
Whilst a broken boiler in this weather is very unfortunate, we are barely able to stay in the living room and adjoining 2 bedrooms for more than half an hour or so due to the strong fumes. My 3 year old daughter cannot sleep in her bed because of this.
I have spoken with her earlier and she arranged for somebody to take another look today who turned off the boiler until a new pump and another part arrives next week. I've been told there was a small leak which has now been contained. I know how the smell can linger as we have oil ourselves. I offered to check the oil has been isolated at the tank but got the impression that it was all in hand.
Our issue now is trying to deal with the very strong fumes in our house until the matter is resolved but I'm confused why we notice the fumes so strongly through the walls and upstairs as well ? Our house is part lathe and plaster and previously we have even noticed cooking and contact adhesive smells coming through the walls, very strange.
I don't really know what to do in the meantime as we are trying to be patient but having the headaches and sore throats for the next week or so is unacceptable, especially where my daughters are concerned.
Does it sound like the condition of our wall could be compromised in some way. I should add that our own boiler is very inefficient and leaving the windows open in this weather is not really an option.
Please advise, thankyou

Sponsored Links
People generally try to make light of oil spills/leaks but if there has been ground contamination there can be a serious problem which will not go away.

Assuming they have any, your neighbours should contact their house insurance company who can arrange for a survey to be done. This will either put your mind at rest or show that a proper clean up is required, contaminated soil removed etc.

If they wont do this voluntaily, I suggest you contact your local Environmental Health Department in the council. They may be able to force your neighbours to take action. Hopefully it wont come to that.

i would advice the to get a gas safety check and u should as well, i no i would not stay there with headaces fall asleep might no wake up again

fumes are the worst

As above, if the ground and wall is saturated, you could be looking at serious money to have it excavated.

Don't take it lightly, You should also have a chat with your insurance to see whether they cover it.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure it's all internal in their house and was told there was a very small pool of oil where a part was dripping. I know this stuff can smell and it is just as strong this morning. Our throats are all very sore too. My neighbour stayed away last night and I will try and talk to her later. I'd like to know that the tank is definitely off though. Is there anything we can use in our house to neutralise the smell at all and Is it normal for smells to penetrate the wall in an old house (1890). Thanks

The 'very small pool' of oil might just be some that hadn't been wicked up by the building fabric and ground when the leak was discovered, and if the search for a leak was only started once the smell became too strong to ignore, the both the ground and building fabric may already be saturated with oil, with no easy fix.
Definitely time for insurance companies and the EHO, and maybe even the Environment Agency.

Maybe the problem the boilerman turned up to fix wasn't related to the smell you're getting, you need to get your neighbour to inform him of the problem you're having so that he can investigate further.
Presumably if she's renting the landlord should be responsible for any possible claims/clean up.
Does your own oil line run under the house on the same side that you're getting the smells? If so it may be worth getting that checked out too.

A neighbour of mine suffered an oil leak from his neighbours (not me!) oil tank and had to move out whilst the whole of the ground floor slabs were dug up and replaced! Luckily an insurance job.

Lift a few carpets and look at the bottom of walls for discolouration of paint/paper. And have a good sniff around. If it's wooden suspended floors then lift a floorboard or two to see it it smells more under the floor. (we had to do this to find a nest full of dead rats.....yuk!)

Do you know the location of the boiler in her house? And the route of the piping?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back