Fuse Board ready for 32a Cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to buy a new cooker which requires a 32a connection and I was advised to make sure my fuse board supports that. I tried to contact the electrician who did the rewiring years ago to check with him, unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be interested to answer.
I hope that a photo can help clearing the matter:
fusebox.jpg

Sponsored Links
That can be used.
Needs a 32A Type A M2 RCBO adding in one of the spare ways to the left side.

Plus the rest of the circuit wiring, isolator, connection plate and so on.

What an annoying remark to the op.

Ok, so it isn't actually a fuseboard - yet everyone knows what the op means.

Many people in the trade call them fuseboards, they know it's wrong, but it's habit, and doesn't really matter.

HOWEVER, you stating it is a 'CU' isn't particularly helpful - since the term is actually Consumer Unit.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

thanks for the replies. (I think winston1's comment was deleted so I can only guess what that was about ...)

@flameport: I need to check that I understand you right. So the box can be used, but not as it is - meaning, I wouldn't be able to let an electrician just connect the new cooker to the cable. That means a new circuit breaker needs to be installed an then a new cable to cable etc?

I was just about to do the research from scratch and I might have come across a red herring as the cooker I had in mind was shows as 32a required on one of the merchant's website. I now dug into the manuals of my old cooker (as a reference what is obviously possible right now) and the new one. I would be very grateful if someone could confirm for me that both, the old and the new one actually just use a 13a connection are therefore can be replaced like-for-like.

Old cooker (manual here), page 26
The cooker is supplied with a 3 core flexible supply
cord incorporating a 13amp plug fitted. In the event
of having to change the fuse, a 13amp ASTA
approved (BS 1362) fuse must be used.
New cooker (manual here), page 11
Your appliance is supplied with a 13 amp fused plug that can be plugged into a 13 amp socket for immediate use. Before using the appliance please read the instructions below.

I believe I am looking at the right thing, but would like to have it double checked.

It appears to be a gas cooker, is that right?

Gas cookers use very little electricity and can safely use a plug and socket

There are also dual fuel cookers, with an electric oven, some of which can, and others can't

You said in the thread title and original post that the cooker required a 32A connection.

Where did you get this information?

Your two links show appliances that use a 13A plug.

@JohnD It is a dual fuel cooker.

@EFLImpudence I researched a suitable cooker and settled on the Hotpoint to replace my Zanussi. When looking for a good shop and price, Curry's had in the description the warning that it is a 32a cooker and you should double check your setup (it is under 'installation' here).
I already see that I confused matters and want to make sure that I read it correctly and from the right sources this time. So the citations are from the manual of the cookers and from the manufacturers' homepages. So either Curry's is wrong or I don't interpret the manuals correctly..

Single oven or two ovens?

Separate grill?

What model?

@JohnD I didn't write it explicitly, but linked the manuals. The new cooker is a Hotpoint HDM67G9C2CB/UK Dual Fuel Cooker with Double Oven. I finally received a call back from Hotpoint and they confirmed that all their cookers with double cavity are a 32a. I pointed out that their manual online says otherwise and they didn't seem surprised that they have wrong manuals out there.
That was a long winding way to figure that out ... thanks for staying with me on that topic!

The spec says load is 4.7kW. Installation instructions say:
The cooker must be connected by a qualified electrician which should be fitted adjacent to (but not above) the cooker, in accordance with IEE regulations. with a conductor size of 4mm2. to a suitable double - pole control unit with a minimum rating of 32A and a minimum contact clearance of 3mm, The power supply cable should conform to BS6004

Definitely hard wire, not a plug!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back