Fuse Holders to fit into a modern day Distribution Board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm Planning on fitting a 3phase 8 Way Distribution Board but would like to fit it with BS 88 fuses instead of MCBs.
This sounds backdated but the reason being I want the fuses to have to be replaced rather than switched back on.
I'm struggling to find Fuse Holders with Terminals large enough to fit on the Distributions Boards Busbar Prongs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or had experience with this topic??

Thanks for your time

LoveItLive

Sponsored Links
This sounds backdated but the reason being I want the fuses to have to be replaced rather than switched back on
How will you ensure that the replacement fuse is the correct type and not one that has a current rating greater than the cable it is protecting.

I am sure there are better ways to ensure the MCB cannot simply be turned back on. I have seen motor overload "relays" that could only be reset using a key, maybe there are MCBs which require a key to reset them.

That sounds quite interesting but I could imagine them being fairly dear I will have to look into that...for this current project i'm just looking for suitable Fuseholders that would fit a Distribution Board.

Thanks for your time.

LoveItLive

Sponsored Links
Locked cupboard? Locked Consumer Unit?

These sound like better options.

An idiot could see a blown fuse, grab some tin foil if its a cartridge fuse and wrap it up and re-insert, or for a fuse wire type, replace it with a nail. Sounds rather a backwards decision to me.....

Nothing wrong with BS 88s.

Enables discrimination to be achieved as well if being used to supply submains.

Why not just buy a BS88 distribution board? They don't usually come with a main isolator so if required you can mount one adjacent to it.

The fault of someone replacing a fuse with either one of the incorrect rating, or something which was not intended to act as a fuse does not lie with the installer. So it's a silly point, really.

Electrical installations are not generally designed against deliberate misuse.

The fault of someone replacing a fuse with either one of the incorrect rating, or something which was not intended to act as a fuse does not lie with the installer. So it's a silly point, really.

Electrical installations are not generally designed against deliberate misuse.

But where an option preventing this sort of mis-use exists, its surely the better option? Its not only the fool who did it that stands to suffer from it.

But where an option preventing this sort of mis-use exists, its surely the better option? Its not only the fool who did it that stands to suffer from it.

Not necessarily, becacuse as I said there are times where it is better to use HBC/HRC fuses instead of BS EN 60898 circuit breakers.

The fault of someone replacing a fuse with either one of the incorrect rating, or something which was not intended to act as a fuse does not lie with the installer. So it's a silly point, really. ... Electrical installations are not generally designed against deliberate misuse.
Maybe, but is it materially different from the OP wanting to use fuses rather than MCBs so that "the fuses to have to be replaced rather than switched back on"? It is presumably some 'inappropriate switching back on', by whoever, that the designer is trying to design against?

Kind Regards, John

Firstly thanks for your support guys.

Sorry don't know how to do the quotes.
Why not just buy a BS88 distribution board? They don't usually come with a main isolator so if required you can mount one adjacent to it.

This was my Initial Idea but after an hours worth of research yesterday I was horrified to find out how much these are going for and not particularly easy to get hold of anymore.

I don't think lockable enclosures are always as good as they sound...Normally Managers or Somebody on site will have the keys...in moments of plant breakdown and panic stupid things can be done but this is besides the point.

Again Cheers Guys

LoveItLive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back