Fuse Holders to fit into a modern day Distribution Board.

Wire one of the line conductors to the CPC terminal on the dist-board. That should stop anyone interfering with it.

Sponsored Links
hahaha good one...!

Going back to the original point has anyone every installed a BS 88 fuse holder into a 3 Phase Distribution Board??

Its not the security of the unit I'm worried about. Just wondering if this is feasible?

Thanks

LoveItLive.

Yes I have used fuse holders that look very like a MCB they were used because protecting semi-conductor contactor and a MCB is too slow needed to be a semi-conductor fuse.

I seem to remember if you fit locks to MCB's they will still trip but you have to remove the locking device in order to reset. Not sure if true for all makes but most are like that.

However where I had the problem was when a fault was detected the only option was to turn off the whole board and it stopped our fitters isolating machines so the practice was discontinued.

We did latter look at two locks some where the fitters and electrician had master key the other electrician only but as time went on fitters seemed to get copies of our keys so that did not work either.

The multi lock clamp seems good until you realise you can't close the door. So near the end we started with just coloured tie wraps the point is any one can remove a lock if they really want to so better to instead of stopping people to just make it so you know when tampering has taken place. Tie wrap coloured seemed to be answer.

Sponsored Links
This is actually one of the beneficial reasons I just really didn't want to go to much into detail and start rambling on lol.

My problem is on the fuse holders I have viewed I cant fit the Terminals onto the prongs of the Dist-Boards some because the fuseholder terminal shape is round others because they are too small.

I need some that are Large enough to slide onto the Busbar prongs. Can Anyone direct me?

LoveItLive

for this current project i'm just looking for suitable Fuseholders that would fit a Distribution Board
This implies you already have the board - in which case the devices from the manufacturer of the board are the only things which will fit in it.
Attempting to fit other things into an existing unit is not an option.

If you do not have the board, then just buy a suitable fuseboard with whatever fuses are required for it. Yes, it will be more expensive than a standard MCB board, but this is inevitable, as they are manufactured in far smaller quantities, and are made to different specifications.

It is rather difficult to make any other suggestions without details of what you are trying to achieve.
There are other issues to consider also, such as discrimination with upstream devices. Shoving in random fuseholders and fuses is not going to work.

Do you really need to use bs88 fuses?
The boards which are built to house bs88 fuse links are not cheap, they are made to withstand a short circuit of many thousands of amps. The fuse links themselves are not cheap, so if you really want the benefits of the rolls Royce in protection it is going to cost.
What sort of distribution board do you have in mind? Also what ratings?

Last time I looked Wylex and Hager (and probably others) did single pole BS1361 HRC modules up to 45a which fit in their standard distribution boards. I've used them in the past to achieve discrimination on a submain originating from a main board. Could be an option if the design parameters allow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back